X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from S Oregon

Hello,
    My name is Louie.
    I live in Southern Oregon. A few years ago I purchased part of a collection of artifacts and arrowheads from the estate sale of a local Museum. I'm thinking of selling of the more valuable pieces. Some of the items are unique and not pictured in the Overstreet guide. I'd like to post some pix for evaluation.
    Attached Files

Wait and see what others on here have to say, but these look more like modern pieces to me.
    Central Ohio

Comment

#1 &3 look authentic. #2 is a Grey Ghost.
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

The gray ghost was made in Texas in the 50's or 60's and the maker is in the flintknappers hall of fame so they have value and are collectable,
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Unfortunately museums usually display reproduction items the orginal pieces are boxed up and in the basement where they can't get stolen. I saw a guy at one of the shows selling pieces from a museum he had bought he had no idea they were reproduction pieces until I told him. Some were pretty good but not worth the $ he was asking. Just have to be aware if you purchase things. Welcome from Georgia
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. That does look like a Grey Ghost. The wealth blades in Overstreet don’t show any with notches. Still... how can I be sure ? I mentioned these were from a museum estate sale. I think these were some that came out of “the basement”. I have hundreds of points as well as an assortment of stone, bone and metal tools. I was lucky to be at the right place and time. I want to sell some of these pieces but am aware that there are those who would downgrade my stuff in the hopes of snapping up a bargain. These 3 points are just the tip of the iceberg. This is the complete frame.

Comment

Welcome albedox!

Yeah the Grey Ghost stands out as modern and it's really not a surprise that it might have been displayed by a museum. I have a local museum that displays a few modern items as authentic and refuse to remove them from display for whatever reason even after being told by professionals they were likely fakes... Curators are not always experts in identifying and weeding fakes from a otherwise authentic collection... Unfortunate but true. But without a doubt and immediately recognizable as fake.

Your last photo did not show up, you will have to try to upload it again.
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

The estate sale was in '04. I've had this since then but haven't really had an opportunity to share or discuss it with others. I have some interesting material and hope to share learn something here.

Comment

Working...
                X