Hello from South Central PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from South Central PA

I have been collecting by purchase on and off for 17 years. I am always careful to buy from people who authenticate others' collections. I started 30 years ago when I found an obsidian point on the shore at Calvert Cliffs in MD. I have read and studied Native culture all of my life. I used to collect baskets, pottery and other art of Native American and Canadian tribes. It holds a fascination I am sure folks here can relate to. My big dream is to actually find a point myself again. I live in what used to be Amish farmland, 30 years ago. We have 1.5 acres. I am 3 miles from a main creek. Since we moved here 17 years ago, all I have wanted to do is dig up my whole property looking for arrowheads! We do a lot of planting and I have never come across one. I have studied from the local historical society and know many tribes were here 300 -400 years ago. I cannot find a farmer or landowner who will let me check creeks on their property or even walk fields. The folks around here are very suspicious and protective. So. What do you think? Can I dig up my land and eventually find anything? I thought to check the runoff ditches because when it rains it floods fast and wide. It runs from the farmer's fields to my property. The field backs to the creek. It is all downhill, too. What do you think?

If you don't find any flakes and pottery shards on surface it most likely will not be productive to dig. Not saying you won't find anything but it is likely you won't unless people have picked all surface stuff up in past.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Welcome! Do you live near Schuylkill county? Adams County?

Willjo knows what he's talking about, he has the most impressive dig site from what I've seen, on this forum. Like he said, if you don't find anything on the surface like flakes and pottery pieces, chances of finding points are slim. Rock overhangs are a nice spot to try though...
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I think you need to keep asking the farmers to let you hunt. Explain this is a hobby with no ill intent...
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Welcome to the site.
          There are other farms and farmers to ask many with the possibility of having artifacts.
          Is it legal to dig in your state?
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• paohrocks
            paohrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            I live in PA Greg and yes it is legal to dig on private property provided you own the property or have the land owners permission. The law also states if a property owner is renting his/her property you do not need the owners permission to enter the property but do need the renters permission. I have always asked both parties despite what the law says. Also, if the property is "posted" you need written permission from the owner. Hope the info helps.

Welcome, and good luck in your search
          South Dakota

Comment

Welcome from Georgia. Rent yourself a tiller if the land is cleared. Till a few rows in different areas on your property. Let it rain and have a look to see if there is anything worth digging
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Welcome from KY...Looks like you already have some sound advice....Enjoy!
              North Central Kentucky

Comment

Welcome from coastal VA. I know the Calvert Cliffs well. Good fossil hunting. The guys have given you some good advice. Good luck!
                Child of the tides

Comment

Obsidian artifact from Calvert cliffs ???

Comment

Welcome from East TN!
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Welcome from North Carolina! My parents grew up in Amish country PA... No pun intended, but all it takes is stones. Ask an Amish person if you can speak with an Elder. Bring an offering maybe an antique jar with something valuable in it, or non powered antique tool! Tell them you want to walk a creek or if you can come back when they have plowed. If you get turned away, try and form a friendship! If all else fails an Amish Mennonite would be easier to approach, and ask if you could search their property for sharp pointy rocks...maybe even take a few trash bags and offer to pick up plastic! This is a great place for knowledge, and let's see that Maryland point!
                      North Carolina

Comment

I caught that too, what Terry said. Obsidian from Md.? I'd like to see that point. Obsidian is so rare on the east coast, and the northeast in general, I'm only aware of maybe two points found in the entire northeast made from obsidian.
                        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X