Hello all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all!

Im new here and ive joined this group of knowledgeable folks in hopes that I may learn a thing or two. Ive spent the last few years chasing down the unusual stone constructs found throughout the woods here in the North Eastern US. Ive documented, photographed, geotagged, numerous sites and collected copius amounts of items. Some artifacts , some minerals, some are just oddities that dont seem to" fit ". I leave what ever i can in situ and only gather what is in eminent danger of being destroyed by modern man. Thanks for reading my ramblings and i look forward to some long anticipated discussions. Cheers JP

Welcome from Ga. and good thoughts on leaving artifacts in situ.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Welcome from East TN!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Welcome from North Carolina!
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Welcome from northern Georgia. With the expansion of humans all artifacts are in danger of being damaged. If not now surely in the future.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Welcome!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from KY...Enjoy!
              North Central Kentucky

Comment

Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Here is the most recent study of potential Native American stone constructs in the Northeast. By Curtiss Hoffman, an experienced long time archaeologist with the Massachusetts Archaeology Society. The subject is both complex and controversial, with some archaeologist now supporting Native American interpretation of many sites, and acknowledging that natives in the East did indeed build in stone. The famous stone chamber in Upton, Ma., for instance, did return dates predating colonial settlement. Very few members here are likely to be up on this subject matter, and it is doubtful opening a debate will actually be all that fruitful. I could write a book. I was RI Reaearch Coordinator for NEARA for many years in the 70's and 80's.

Rock Piles, Standing Stones, Perched Boulders, Balanced Rocks, Rocking Stones, Chambers, Niches, Stone Circles, Stone Rows, Rock Art, Petroglyphs, Indian Forts, Ceremonial Stone Landscapes, Mounds, and Unusual Earthworks

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-stone-prayers

Welcome, of course. I just wanted to provide a heads up that, if you are into what I think you are into, it's a subject matter that few here are up to speed on. And it is a subject hotly debated by area archaeologists. If debate is open on the subject, I can provide a wealth of information, being up to speed on all the latest thought. But, to be honest, I probably will not do that. As it would involve a great deal of work on my part...

Click image for larger version  Name:	D51D5FF0-2697-4816-B419-6507643132FF-958-000000449CF58F9D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	106.8 KB ID:	420651
                  Last edited by CMD; 01-31-2020, 08:17 AM.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

I believe this is what our new member is referring to, when he speaks of "stone constructs in the Northeast". It just occurred to me that I put some amount of work together to introduce others in the artifact forum universe to the subject:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/no...e-prayers.html

Again, welcome Seeking knowledge. Here we are primarily concerned with the collection of Native American artifacts, and have not been too involved with the debate regarding the things discussed in the link provided above.

If you have identifiable Native American artifacts, we always like seeing what folks have found. If people present things that are clearly not man made, such as the stone seen in your avatar, we will not hesitate to correct misconceptions where distinguishing between actual artifacts and ordinary stones are concerned. In this way, people learn what is correct interpretations, based on our decades of experience, and what rocks are being misidentified as man altered. We hope you enjoy our forum!
                    Last edited by CMD; 01-31-2020, 08:45 AM.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

T

Comment

Thank you all for the generous welcome! I realize that the subject of the stone constructions here in the North Eastern region is contentious among researchers and it is not ny intention to open the debate here on this issue. Quite honestly im here to get up to speed on native points, blade, and scrapers. My knowledge of them is extremely limited. In order to present my research in a light that is not considered "on the fringe" i believe that all aspects of said research must be presented in the most clear and precise non objective manner possible. As items such as points are clearly one major piece of evidence I wokld be remiss to produce them in ignorance.
                        all items I have collected come from gravel pits, road cuts, construction sites, and logging operations. They are surface collected and I never dig. I am not an archaeologist but I am a life long historian. To dig without having proper authorities as participants would do everyone a great injustice. I abhor looters and grave robbers. the valuable information lost to humanity is beyond comprehension and only makes interpreting the story all the more difficult. JP

Comment

• CMD
                          CMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well, we can, and will, help you to understand the types of stone tools used by prehistoric Native Americans. If you find something, and wonder what it might be, just post your photos and questions.

As a side note I would like to thank CMD for the links. I have not read this book yet and will do so asap. I would like to just say that im not a follower of the Megalithic builders from Europe theory. It is my belief that the structures are a completely Native American endeavor free from the European influence model proposed by some. Its quite possible they were influenced by dispersal of information from mesoamerica or one of the mound builder cultures. I have no evidence of either and i am not extending that thought any furthur. It is a shame to think that the pre contact indigenous peoples were not capable of imagining and then building the anomalous structures. History shows us one thing that is always true and that is we just dont always have the final answers to all the questions . In time all truth wins out. As far as my avatar, yes it is a stone and it is also I believe, an artifact. What is missing is the information and context in which the avatar was found. I will post the pertinent details soon. JP
                        Last edited by Seeking knowledge; 01-31-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• CMD
                          CMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          When I first got involved researching these interesting sites, in RI, nobody was doing so. At that time, the European megalithic connection was the dominant alternative theory. My background in geology was such that I knew, for instance, that many perched boulders could be understood as the product of a retreating glacier. But I did fall for the megalithic connection just the same. I too have a background as an historian, retired, and there is no doubt everything has changed in the interpretation of these sites. It's a pretty exciting subject, and it's fascinating to see how far eastern tribal groups have embraced these sites as the products of their ancestors. I believe it's a mixed bag, however, many sites I believe are the result of European settler activity.

They did build stone fortresses. I know of one but don't have permission in that area just certain sections on the owners property. If that is what you are talking about.
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

I am not in the position to to speculate on what the constructions were used for. There are many differing thoughts on the possible intentions and uses of these. Im in the belief that a comprehensive archeological excavation of each site would be needed to even come close to determining thier possible use and even then the answer may not be found. As much as i would like to prescribe a use to these i simply cannot state my assumptions as they are just that, assumptions. There is far too much misinformation confusing this matter because people use conjecture and assumptions as facts. My intention is simply this. Document location, photograph surface conditions of the constructions as well as layout and any outstanding oddities, photograph any possible types of pictographs, protowriting, glyps, compile objects disturbed by recent human activities and if possible determine a time frame and classification for said objects. The reason is to preserve for the future what i can. I will leave it to those more knowledgeable than i to attribute the uses. With the rate of destruction of these constructs valuable information is being lost at an unacceptable rate and i feel this is a race againts time. Only with the change in attitudes of those with power to stop this uncontrolled eradication of pre contact constructions will this abate. There is more history under our feet than most would assume. We need only look for it. JP
                          P.S. Once my items are verified as authentic there is a museum dedicated to Native Americans that will accept the verifiable Artifacts and preserve them for posterity.
                          Last edited by Seeking knowledge; 01-31-2020, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X