Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible arrow head found on beach in Margate, England (????)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible arrow head found on beach in Margate, England (????)

Hi there everyone. I have no experience with arrowheads but found this while out walking on the beach and got curious. I have no idea if this is just coincidentally shaped this way or if it is an actual arrowhead and if it is, when it's from!

It's definitely stone and most likely flint and between 5 and 6 centimetres long. The edges are very smooth and as you can see from the photos it's flat but quite substantial, not really thin.

If there's anyone who can shed any light on this that would be great!

Many Thanks,
    M
    Attached Files

Way out of my area, I think Painshill would be best suited to answer but I don't see any sign of it being knapped into shape. My thoughts are you've likely found a water worn fossil of some plant or marine species in a somewhat coincidental Arrowhead shape. It would be much to heavy to be an Arrowhead as well.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hi Josh, thanks for that info, I hadn't even considered the weight but it makes a lot of sense. It certainly seemed too smooth to be anything like other arrowheads I've seen before. The shape seems too perfect I think!

Comment

Hang onto it just in case looks interesting
        NW Georgia,

Comment

It looks like it could be a sort of harpoon head...Painshill will prolly know, and maybe some better pics?
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Looks hollow on one end . Is it copper/ bronze?

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Good eye on that I missed it

Thanks guys, it's definitely not copper, bronze or hollow. It could be flint looking at a small chip on it showing smooth flint like texture inside. I'd like to think it is something but most likely not an arrowhead.... 😔

Comment

What’s with the lower right tip that looks hollow, as mentioned. Is it just chipped there?
              South Dakota

Comment

Hi Gary, yes that is a small chip. It's that bit that makes me think it's flint.

Comment

Perhaps a couple more pics under bright light and maybe pic of back side would help

Comment

Working...
                  X