Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Central North Carolina

Hi all!

Just joined the board a couple of days ago. I live in southwest Wake County. I started collecting NA artifacts when I was 10 or 11 years old. I found my first (originally from Harnett County) point while my dad was searching(metal detector) for Civil War artifacts. Stopped looking when I went off to college and then the military, but trying to get back into it after many, many years. It's hard to find places in Wake County these days. I actually dug one up while tilling my backyard garden last year. That obviously got me interested again. :-)

We had some open land behind our subdivision until about six months ago, but before they started building houses on the land I spent some time walking the 10-15 acres. It was farm land and had not been plowed in several years so it was hard to find bare ground but I found a few broken points near a small creek that runs through the property.

The single quartz point is the very first point that I found when I was a kid. I have not been able to id it so if anyone has any ideas I would welcome them. :-)
    Attached Files

Welcome to the site and thanks for joining us. Nice first find no wonder you have kept the interest all these years.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to the site TarHeelPoint I'm in WNC but mostly hunt the Piedmont around Mecklenburg glad you are here! Wake sure is growing fast. We have quite a few knowledgeable NC folks here and some fellow Wake county hunters. That's a wonderful first find I'm thinking it's a Yadkin Eared but wanna hear what others have to say as well. Thanks for your service! My favorite NC Archeology book is Time Before History the Archeology of North Carolina I think you would like it if trying to get back into this awesome hobby.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Welcome from the NC coast!! and welcome back to this amazing hobby. The ID is a tough one because it looks similar to two types, yadkin eared like Sugaree said, and a Potts point. Both are from the woodland period. The people and knowledge here are top notch!
        North Carolina

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut. That first find is awesome
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
            Welcome to the site and thanks for joining us. Nice first find no wonder you have kept the interest all these years.
            Thanks, gregszybala! I've definitely kept the interest, but a busy life has prevented me from spending more time hunting. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sugaree View Post
              Welcome to the site TarHeelPoint I'm in WNC but mostly hunt the Piedmont around Mecklenburg glad you are here! Wake sure is growing fast. We have quite a few knowledgeable NC folks here and some fellow Wake county hunters. That's a wonderful first find I'm thinking it's a Yadkin Eared but wanna hear what others have to say as well. Thanks for your service! My favorite NC Archeology book is Time Before History the Archeology of North Carolina I think you would like it if trying to get back into this awesome hobby.
              Thanks for the welcome, Sugaree! Correct on Wake. I have a friend that owns land in Johnston County and he let me look there until he sold it for a new subdivision. LOL. It was a very good site and I don't think it had ever intentionally been hunted. I found some decent points and tools in just a couple of trips a couple of months ago. I actually have the book and agree it is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by utilized flake View Post
                Welcome from the NC coast!! and welcome back to this amazing hobby. The ID is a tough one because it looks similar to two types, yadkin eared like Sugaree said, and a Potts point. Both are from the woodland period. The people and knowledge here are top notch!
                Thanks for the welcome and thoughts on the point, utilized flake! I was kind of thinking Woodland period just wasn't sure which type. I'm not familiar with Potts, but I looked it up and I think you might be on to something there. I'm not sure how I didn't discover this site before now.

Comment

Originally posted by redrocks View Post
                  Welcome from Connecticut. That first find is awesome
                  Thanks for the welcome, redrocks! I'm showing my age here, but I found it over 40 years ago. Glad I've been able to hang onto the majority of the artifacts that I found in my childhood.

Comment

Welcome, and good luck on your new searches
                    South Dakota

Comment

Welcome TarHeelPoint! Also in Wake County. Yep, the houses are fast occupying every remaining bit of former farmland here. And strip malls. "They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot"!
                      Central North Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
                        Welcome, and good luck on your new searches
                        Thanks, SDhunter! I lived out your way in Nebraska while serving in the Air Force. Super bummed I never got a chance to look while living out there, but had other pressing things that took priority. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by HikerGalNC View Post
                          Welcome TarHeelPoint! Also in Wake County. Yep, the houses are fast occupying every remaining bit of former farmland here. And strip malls. "They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot"!
                          Thanks, HikerGalNC! You got that right. When I do see a field or an area being cleared for construction I always think to myself, I sure would like to look there.

Comment

Welcome from coastal VA! Hope you stick around!
                            Child of the tides

Comment

welcome from VA. Nice finds. Don't feel bad, they haven't turned the fields around here in years either. Hopefully one year they will have to for some reason. Good luck out there!
                              keep on keepin after

Comment

Working...
                              X