Found in N. Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found in N. Carolina

Found in North Carolina near New Bern in a pasture that was being plowed for a garden. Lenoir, Craven, Jones County area in late 1800- early 1900s. I know that this was indian territory for a long time but not sure on which time period this is and it's worth

Welcome to the site Eddy, nice intro. Stay patient, eventually folks from your area of the country will stop by and give you some help.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hello and welcome.Nice point, my advice is keep it and forget about the monetary value...I know you didn’t ask for it , but it’s free. Lol.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Nice find! I'm new here but very excited to post my small collection and see others.

Comment

Welcome from Georgia
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Hello and welcome EddyB83 from Western NC. That sure is a nice point! I'm thinking but not positive that it is an Early Archaic Kirk Stemmed 8,000 to 9,000 BP. Yea it's old and beautiful. BP stands for before present. It was probably used as a knife. The earlier cultures in NC really liked to seek out the better material to knap. I'm thinking it's made of a higher grade of Rhyolite that doesn't degrade and change color "patina" like most of our Rhyolite here in NC. As for Value we really don't get into that for several reasons this site is more of a learning site but saying that it's worth a lot more in sentimental value then monetary value but does have some monetary value so enjoy it for what it is more then what it's worth.
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Hi Eddy. Welcome to our forum from Alabama. It is a nice point you found. Congrats. Have you found any other artifacts in your point garden?

Comment

Welcome from NJ and wow that's a treasure
                New Jersey

Comment

Hi,

That’s a fantastic find! No doubt it’s rhyolite that came from the Uwharrie mountains. Quite a journey back in the day. It could be a Kirk but the size says Savanna River. Either way it’s old and a great find!!!

Von

Comment

Working...
                  X