Central Indiana Odd find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Indiana Odd find

I was metal detecting in a neighbors field this noon and made an odd find. Showed it to the owner of the land and he was shocked. I don't normally dig iron contacts but that may change now. Don't know anything at all about it or how it got here but its old. One piece is broken and the tip is bent. About a hundred feet away I found a copper coated 40cal bullet that's copper clad so not the same era.
    So any clues? I can't find any other evidence in searching for iron arrowheads in Indiana.
    Thanks,
    John

it's a drill, which is way older than the bullet or any iron arrowheads, nice find. If you want to see more drills, I have a drill thread up in the Native American arrowhead section under the title "A Frame Of Drills ". I have one or 2 in there somewhat like the one you found. There's also another thread called Drills (lithic forms) that's better than mine.
    Last edited by antmike915; 05-01-2020, 10:48 PM.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Thanks for the information. Interesting. I guess now I need to start digging up all the iron hits I am getting in that field. I just wonder how old this is and if there may have been a camp in this area. No one knows of any so I may have stumbled onto one.

Comment

Welcome
        South Dakota

Comment

Welcome to the site...you drilled it!
          In my neck of the woods in PA, it seems nearly impossible to find a whole drill. I have amassed several sections or tips over the years.
          Flint
          northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

This was the first find since getting my metal detector that wasn't junk, and I almost tossed it. Glad I didn't!

Comment

Just to be clear this is three photographs of one piece of iron you found. I think that is what you stated . Am I correct? Processed iron was utilized by Native Americans but only after European contact. Copper was used a lot and as long ago as 7000 years in the Great Lakes area. Iron shows up with Europeans much later.
              Last edited by Hoss; 05-03-2020, 09:52 PM.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• John Stark
                John Stark commented
                Editing a comment
                Iron was used starting in the 1600 through mid 1800

Iron is still in use . Iron arrived in the US via European trade. it has been continually in use in North America since then.

Are you going to confirm weather or not this is iron or stone? Your comment " I was metal detecting in a neighbors field this noon and made an odd find. Showed it to the owner of the land and he was shocked. I don't normally dig iron contacts but that may change now." Leads one to believe this was found while metal detecting and was found via an iron signal. Is it iron?
              Last edited by Hoss; 05-11-2020, 04:10 PM.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
              X