Hello From Southern Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello From Southern Indiana

Hey all, My name is Eric. I live 15 minutes from the Ohio river. Recently made my best personal find! Send me friend requests lol.

Good God!  That thing is huge!  You guys find quite a bit of large artifacts out that way?

Comment

well, most of everything I find is 3 inches or less. This spade is by far the largest and best artifact Ive ever found (I did find a 1 inch cumberland once though, but it was broken). I havent seen anything that big in any of the local collector's collections that I know. I have a youtube video of me right after I found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJMzrku3Uk

Comment

Hello from central Indiana. That is one monster Hoe, Congrats

Comment

Wow great find, kinda looks like a big blade with the tip broke off?

Comment

Headhuntr wrote:

Wow great find, kinda looks like a big blade with the tip broke off?
            I read that its common for a spade to have an unfinished edge like that. Apparently it made it easier to put on a club. The bit is polished very nicely, so I know they used it at least. Also, there are some rough percussion flakes along the edge of the "broken" side. It looks as though they were gonna go ahead and finish it all around, but the flakes coming off were too deep, and wasnt flaking the way it was supposed to, so they quit and left it as it was.  Thats my opinion

Comment

Very nice spade like I told you before. It has been used alot from all the polish on the bit. And it is all there 99% of authentic spades has the but snapped off. Its usually the cortex that they snap off alot of people believe that they did it because it would of snapped off when they tried to use it. I have several pieces like that. Also there are several chert adzes that they did the same thing to.

Comment

Working...
              X