New Member inherited Native American artifact collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member inherited Native American artifact collection

Hi, I have absolutely no knowledge on or experience with collecting Native American artifacts but I recently inherited a decent size collection of items from my mother. They were her late husband's collection from the 1950's-1970's that had been sitting in a box in her attic untouched for probably the last 40+ years. Best she remembers the items were collected mainly in Georgia but also in South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, etc from his childhood to his 30's.

The collection is probably 100-150 arrowheads of all sizes with a few very large ones, an axe head, some small white balls?, multiple grinding stones?, etc.

I honestly have no idea what I might have or what to do with them. I would love to find out more information about them and what if any worth they might have. Not necessarily looking to sell them but might be interested in parting with a few pieces.

Can anyone direct me where and how to start finding out more about them? I did contact someone from my state's archeological society who give me the contact information of a local buyer/seller dealer in my area of GA but I haven't heard anything back yet from him.

Any advice or guidance on what possible next steps to take would be greatly appreciated. Photo of a sample of some of the items attached.

Thank you,

Matt

the ones i see look good
    Wyoming

Comment

A) welcome to the site. Heck of an entry!

b). Take pictures of them, grouped in small groups in a line, like maybe 5 at a time per picture, and put a quarter($.25) in each picture For a size reference. We as a collective LOvE to ogle other people’s rocks, and if you have any exceptional pieces (really old or unusual) then this would be a good way to help someone single them out for further identification. Someone could say “picture 5, point 3 from left to right, more pictures of that one please” and they could help you really nail down an identification.
      take pics outside in natural light, if possible.

the pic you posted about is great!
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Welcome from Georgia, those are nice
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Tried to group them better. There are many more not pictured.

There are some interesting pieces of a piece of pottery or something like that that you can see the engravings and markings on.

Comment

Comment

What part of Georgia are you in? I sent you a message
              Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 06-30-2020, 08:29 PM.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Welcome from Florida...What Jethro said,... The pottery is Woodland period...
                Floridaboy.

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The majority of the points look to be late also...though I’m ni expert on the area. The last group photo, bottom row, third point....it looks out of place. Like, I mean it looks much older...

Pic #6, second one to the right of the coin is a drill
                pic #7, the one right next to the coin is also a drill. I can identify those. They are cool, and I don’t find those here very often.
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Cool stuff
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

Forgot to post a photo of this one.

Comment

That's one of your best pieces imo.
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

I feel sure that piece was made from a sawed slab because you can see the flat place on each side where the knapper did not remove all the saw cut, and one reproduction in a collection does not help it.
                          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Welcome to our forum from Alabama. You have, in that collection, points that range in ages from over 8000 years old (Early Archaic) or older through Middle Archaic and Woodland periods. It is a dandy collection for sure. I can ID some of them to type just by the photos you have given us. As to monetary value? We do not discuss specific monetary values in this forum. But HST, I see nothing there that would be worth the effort of trying to sell on the artifact market. If you take them to a show, you may find someone who may offer you a little money for some of them, but probably not enough for you to pay for the fuel to drive there. Some of them are very nice points. You have an excellent collection of quartz points, some of them Mid and Early Archaic.

Comment

Working...
                            X