New member from KC area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from KC area

I have has a strong interest in Native American history, which includes artifacts, though I must say I haven't had the time to really dig into it. As a young kid in the 1960's I lived in Tucson, AZ, near an old US military fort; I think it was Ft Lowell. In the desert behind my house (about two miles from the fort) and after rains I use to find shards of painted pottery, but no arrowheads. There were also all kinds of bullets and casings from what appeared to be the 1880's. Somehow, in moving over the years they got lost. We also found a buried stash of obsidian flakes (I think that is what they are called) near a creek that flows into Gallatin River in Montana.
    I now live northeast of the KC area in an area I have been told is rich in artifacts. I suppose everyone is told this. Not having any real experience in hunting for artifacts in this area, the few times I have been out I have found nothing, though my know-how and skills are basically zilch. My questions are these: Are their Indian artifact clubs in the area or someone who might be interested in teaching me the ropes? Also, I am sure there is ton a of articles on the subject, any recommendations?
    Thanks . . . Missouri Mule

Not sure if there are any clubs in your area but hang out here for a while. Lots of good info. Welcome to the forum.
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Welcome to the forum...It's nice to see another KC local on here. I live in NKC myself...Normally I drive 2 hours south to my hometown to do my hunting. I'm still learning the area myself but I did recently find my first whole point in KCK (posted in in-situ section). You're definitely in a hot spot it's just a matter of getting permission to hunt those plowed fields and creeks. A lot to learn from these guys around here.

Comment

Missouri Mule wrote:

I now live northeast of the KC area in an area I have been told is rich in artifacts.  I suppose everyone is told this.  Not having any real experience in hunting for artifacts in this area, the few times I have been out I have found nothing, though my know-how and skills are basically zilch.  My questions are these:   Are their Indian artifact clubs in the area or someone who might be interested in teaching me the ropes?  Also, I am sure there is ton a of articles on the subject, any recommendations?
        Thanks . . . Missouri Mule
          I can't help you with the artifact clubs question but you can learn a ton of information just by reading the threads on the different artifact forums.
        11KBP

Comment

Welcome Mule!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to Arrowheads.com
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thank you all for the welcoming replies. I am not sure what I can contribute, but I am all ears to anything that can get me going on the right track.
              I live east of Excelsior Springs about 2 miles from the Crooked River, and about 4 from where it meets with Rocky Fork Creek.  If you have maps that should pretty well pinpoint where I'll commence my artifact hunting.  Are any of you familiar with this area?  I have been told that where the two water courses meet was a large camping area for many tribes.  I guess the first thing to do is get permission from landowners, but I am finding out that many of them live out of state, so I guess it will take some work.
              Are there any historical works on the tribes that lived in the area, so I can get familiar with who they were?  I am fairly familiar with the Lakota Sioux of the Dakotas, but have little understanding with the Missouri River tribes that lived here. 
              Missouri Mule

Comment

Missouri Mule wrote:

If you have maps that should pretty well pinpoint where I'll commence my artifact hunting. 
                Missouri Mule
                  After reading speedmaster's post below I can see that I misread your meaning "if you have maps", lol.
                Finding site locations is a hard earned process but if you put in the time and effort you should do okay.

Comment

Exactly right 11KBP, finding your own area is half the fun(or fight?).  No one wants their honey holes picked clean by others
                  You will learn a lot by doing the necessary research as to where the camps were and what areas that will produce around them.
                  We are always here to help if you have questions!

Comment

:huh:  In my naivete I didn't realize there was that much competition over choice artifact grounds, which likely explains why there are not any clubs, per say.  I learn something new everyday.  My intent was not to pinpoint where the points were, however, but to give people a better idea where I live.  I am sure this area has probably been well scoured, but one must start somewhere.

Comment

Missouri Mule wrote:

:huh:  In my naivete I didn't realize there was that much competition over choice artifact grounds, which likely explains why there are not any clubs, per say.  I learn something new everyday.  My intent was not to pinpoint where the points were, however, but to give people a better idea where I live.  I am sure this area has probably been well scoured, but one must start somewhere.
                        Sorry to have misinterpreted your previous map comment Mule and yes competition has really become a problem, especially since the advent of the internet.
                      11KBP

Comment

I don't think mule was suggesting that we pinpoint sites on the map for him rather he was pinpointing where he was gonna start his searching. I'd say you're on the right track for sure...

Comment

Mule, I don't know of any "clubs" other than the Kansas City Archaeological Society which I don't know much about and the Missouri Archaeological society which I refuse to support any longer. My aunt joined a "club" one time and she said it was just a bunch of people trying to find new sites (understandable but unlikely). Like the guys said, people don't usually willingly give up site info.

Comment

Speedmaster wrote:

I don't think mule was suggesting that we pinpoint sites on the map for him rather he was pinpointing where he was gonna start his searching. I'd say you're on the right track for sure...
                              You're correct Speedmater, I did misinterpret Mule's map comment. 
                            11KBP

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I'm very new to finding artifacts myself and all the advice here is positive . This may seem plain but it was great advice " keep walking " I did and have found some cool stuff. I do most of my looking in creeks and thats a lot of walking but it works. Good luck hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X