Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Newbie here.... Looking to Learn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newbie here.... Looking to Learn.

Hello all.

I grew up fascinated with Indian culture and life, having lived in Minnesota, Wisconsin and South Dakota in my younger years. I always have been interested in artifacts from earlier times. I currently live an hour west of New York, NY and have property in the Cumberland Mountains of TN. In the future, my personal finds will likely come from one of those two places.

As for now, I recently had a chance to purchase some artifacts from the estate of a lifelong collector in central Connecticut. Since it was an estate sale, there was no opportunity to discuss the history with him so there is no provenance for these finds. I felt somewhat safe buying from his estate, assuming that was far more likely than me to recognize real finds vs. fakes. But again, I don't know what I don't know.... I'm looking to jump start my collections and want to make sure I approach this passion with knowledge.

Looking for initial help on a four related topics:
    1) What do you look for in order to identify real vs. fake with high confidence, when acquiring artifacts from others?
    2) A collective take, based on a review of some photos of rom my purchase of real vs. fake; and if real - thoughts about whether they came from the Northeast or were likely purchased from all over?
    3) How do you distinguish a large arrowhead from another tool? Based on the first photo - are any of these artifacts likely to be tools other than arrowheads?
    4) Outside of this forum, what other resources would you recommend to build knowledge around early-American artifacts?

Thanks in advance ! .I'm looking forward to learning and later contributing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	70-FullBox.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	502502 Click image for larger version

Name:	70-A1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	502503 Click image for larger version

Name:	70-A2a.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	502504 Click image for larger version

Name:	70-A3b.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	502505 Click image for larger version

Name:	70-A4.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	502506 Click image for larger version

Name:	70-A5.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	502507 Click image for larger version

Name:	71-FullBox.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	502508 Click image for larger version

Name:	71-A2a.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	502509

They all look authentic to me. Fakes generally are too perfect or rare and valuable 'types'.

Can't speak to origin or type of your finds.
    Knives are often asymmetric and larger bladed forms. Arrow points , dart points, and spear tips can't really be distinguished. Small symmetrical notched form are often called 'bird' arrows and may be true arrows.
    This site has a lot of resources buried in it's many forums. Projectilepoints.net is another. Overstreet book for type ID's. Numerous academic papers online, if you look. Best just to study all you can find.
    This subject is fascinating and endless.
    California

Comment

• KWix
      KWix commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom! I appreciate the info and resources.

You have to look for retouching on them also.. I've seen collectors sell their broken and damaged stuff at shows so knappers can buy them and flake them to quality pieces. There is a lot of things to learn when it comes to buying.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• tomf
      tomf commented
      Editing a comment
      True,about re-flaking or 'repairing' real artifacts. That could fool somebody as artifacts can be collected that show evidence of resharpening or repurposing after considerable periods of time (based on patina differences). I think a microscopic examination and experience is the most reliable way to authenticate stone-chipped tools. Fresh work should be detectable.

There can be more than one reason this one shows discoloration I can't say its been reworked or not unless I could look at it under a loop. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201104-152003_Chrome.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	502521
    NW Georgia,

Comment

You might buy New York Projectile Points - A Typology and Nomenclature (1971, 1989, 1997) by William A. Ritchie, a New York State Archaeologist back in the day, and a giant among his peers in the Northeast for many years. His work and typologies still seem to predominate the field in the NE. I recently bought it on Amazon, new, for $9.95... a deal!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

• KWix
        KWix commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks GreatMarsh! Ordered tonight. Appreciate the reference.

Welcome from Florida...slow down, take your time, a one thing at a time approach is best...Now then, this is a great place to start..stay awhile, learn and teach...I need a couple of days to enjoy your goodies, thanks for sharing.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        P.S. at first look I would say they are authentic pieces..I really love the long flake type drill or reamer.

• KWix
        KWix commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Hal! I grew up on the West Coast of Florida and still miss it.

Admittedly, I jumped in over my head. Now the fun starts.

You're doing it backwards. Collect personal finds first, then buy stuff. Good luck I mean it!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• KWix
        KWix commented
        Editing a comment
        Tom - agreed. Seizing on the opportunity to acquire a significant part of the effort of a collector's lifetime has me here now.

On the flip side, my Tennessee cabin is filled with finds from that property including numerous seafloor fossils. Looking to add the pursuit of artifacts when in Tennessee, Zero reason I can't pursue both at the same time.

Tom clark is right, so is Hal. slow down KW. If you want to buy try not to do over the internet. Others here will tell you about all the bogus stuff out there. If you must buy, go to local sales. Handle the Artifacts. Ask the kidnappers questions about what to look for. You might want to go to the flintknappers forum on this site. Look around there, then ask your questions. Better yet get outside and hunt! I don't know anyone that has found a fake out in the field! Yet. Welcome to the site. Nice Artifacts you posted, thanks for showing us your things. Kim
      Last edited by Mattern; 11-04-2020, 06:42 PM.
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• KWix
        KWix commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Kim! Indeed - I have zero desire to buy over the internet. Thanks for the encouragement!

Welcome to the site. A lot of good helpful people here and if you got a question don't be afraid to ask but be patient.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• KWix
        KWix commented
        Editing a comment
        Greg - Thanks for the welcome.

Overall it's a nice collection
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• KWix
        KWix commented
        Editing a comment
        SurfaceHunter - Thanks! Now comes the field work.

Welcome from Georgia, all the above.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• KWix
        KWix commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks antMike! I lived in Kennesaw for 10 years and enjoyed every minute in your great state.

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool deal KW, I noticed that you lived in Florida for awhile, I lived in Tampa about 13 years, I miss it too.

• KWix
        KWix commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike - I grew up in across the bay in Clearwater. Go Bucs!

All - I love the community here. Thanks all for the rich responses.

I admit I got started backwards - for the ultimate good, I hope. I am not one to inch my way in a little at a time. Coming across the estate sale last week spun me in this direction. Wanting some confirmation, I uploaded a small part of what I purchased today. In the future, I will carefully label purchased vs. found.

Again - Thanks all for pointing me down the path.

Karl

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        In the pics, put a quarter next to the item. A quarter is exactly 1” in diameter. It’s a great size reference and fairly cheap.😬

• KWix
        KWix commented
        Editing a comment
        Jethro - Thanks for the tip. I should be able to afford it

Welcome, sorry I’m late as usual.

they all look legit to me....but none of them are actual arrowheads.

those are all spear points, knife blades, dart points(maybe), etc. I know, I know...we all say “I found an arrowhead” when in fact they rarely are. Those mostly look older than arrowheads,

we tend to call everything remotely pointy , primitive, and sharp an arrowhead. I do it myself. Wife-“where you going?” Me-“arrowhead huntin.”
      Most true arrowheads are less than an inch in length. It’s a simple weighted flight issue.

again, welcome to the site. Love the collection you bought. Central Connecticut is beautiful country. We have some knowledgeable posters from up northeast...I figure one of them will find the eventually.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        arrowhead huntin is my go to response as well.

All - Thanks again for sharing your wisdom over the last week.

Posting some additional pictures from my initial purchase, completed prior to my initial posting here. Still completing the fall outdoor clean-up so no opportunity to get out and hunt yet.

Feel free to comment as you like or simply look.

KW

Click image for larger version

Name:	W5B-Full Box.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	504041 Click image for larger version

Name:	W5M-Full Box.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	504042 Click image for larger version

Name:	W6M-Full Box.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	504043 Click image for larger version

Name:	W10M-Full Box.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	504044 Click image for larger version

Name:	W11T-Full Box.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	504045 Click image for larger version

Name:	R14M-Full Box.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	504046

​​
      Attached Files

Comment

I’m late to the party but welcome from coastal VA! Looks like you bought a sizable collection. Too bad it was an estate sale, fir as you said the owner was no longer around to ask whether these were his personal finds, purchases or both. 🤷‍♀️

At first glance there are several that look authentic, but there are some that cause me to go 🤨🤔. Since I’m not that familiar with lithics outside my region, I’ll parrot some of the others who say be cautious. I speak from experience.

read and educate... that’s the key. And avoid eBay! Lol
        Deb
        Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
        X