New from Southern Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from Southern Indiana

Hello to all from Dubois County in Southern Indiana. I only hunt in the woods, creeks, and fields in my backyard since I've lived in my home for the past ten years... And until the last couple of years I only collected geodes and fossils - then I started finding artifacts near a small spring fed pond that is in the middle of our cornfield and shifted my focus after researching the history of where I live. Turned out I live on the Buffalo Trace in a section of the trace that was often referred to as the Mudhole Trace by the earliest settlers because of the mudholes buffalo had made. The White River is about a mile and a half from my house and most people I know hunt fields near it for arrowheads but I never did and stayed around my house hunting fossils and geodes which are numerous but usually only found in that abundance farther north. I have had to prove their existence on a couple of fossil forums due to my location... There are 2 spring fed ponds in the field behind my house and in April part of the little woods surrounding one was taken down and a dry damn was put in so more crops could be planted - since then I've been sifting thru dirt mounds and watching what pops up after heavy rains in the new run off trenches from the cornfield to the dry damn. Hopefully I will be able to get some input here since Im sorting my finds now instead of hunting due to the corn being too high. There's my backstory and salutations to all 😊

Welcome from Georgia, feel free to post some pictures of your artifacts.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Mercydarko13
      Mercydarko13 commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually just posted some pics to get an answer if any were possibly a bird stone in the question answer section... Take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks

A warm Florida welcome to you no. 13..A nice bio. it sounds like you’re in a good place that should produce some very nice Indian artifacts, Not a whole lot of difference between fossil, geode hunting or finding arrowheads...the flint piece you show, while it fits comfortably in your hand does not appear to have any secondary edgework indicating a knife or other such artifact..A closeup of the edges might reveal such a thing..Good luck.
    Last edited by Hal Gorges; 06-29-2021, 04:26 PM.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Welcome
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota…✌️
        Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Welcome!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome
            South Dakota

Comment

Welcome to the family Mercy. Kim from Central Pa.
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Welcome from Ga.
                West Georgia​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                X