Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from North Central Arkansas

Hello to all.
    My name is Anthony, I have been an arrowhead/ artifact and all around rockhound since the age of 8 when i found my first rose flint spear tip 3 3/4", whole and unchipped, while playing in the creek near the river where i grew up, the Little Red River. it turned out to be a very rich area for flint projectiles as well as many tools, grinders, and corn bowls. I dont claim to be any sort of expert on exactly what each piece is but i have many finds under my belt and between my self and my father have put together quite a nice collection.
    I love the workmanship on a fine arrowhead but i must say some of the "other" artifacts are probably my favorite. Here are a few of the nicer ones that i actually have pictues of that can be made out.

you may not be ablle to tell so much by this paticular picture but the bowl in this stone is very finely ground and measures 6" deep by 3" diameter.

Comment

A few of the framed pieces We have put together.

Comment

real nice pieces love those striped pieces in the 4th pic

Comment

This is the prize. I'm sure you could imagine the rush pullin this baby out of the dirtA

Comment

wow that is nice

Comment

welcome from fl. enjoyed seeing some of you collection, wow thats some blade, i got to hold two about that size, thanks for sharing look forward to seeing more,,,twoshovel

Comment

Welcome from Oregon! Ceremonial knife/spear tip is incredible!  Looks like it is made of obsidian - a common material in  the West...
                Darin
                In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. -John Muir

Comment

Welcome bullettooth to AH.com, very nice blade and I love that sharpened down Dalton in the frame......I gotta thing for Daltons!
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

Welcome Anthony, great to have you as part of this gang!
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

welcome! nice pieces!!

Comment

I know several collectors from AR., me included and i have never seen any obsidian. Is it local?

Comment

Obsidian in Ark???????????? :huh:  A small chip alone would be remarkable.
                          It just seems too good to be true.
                          As rare as "small chips" are in Tex/Ok/Ark it is hard to believe
                          that a point as large as that actually came from Arkansas.
                          Apologies ahead, I just do not believe it came from your area.
                          Maybe west of Kan/Co........
                          Trade from the locality the material came from is practically unheard of....
                          Has anyone else heard of any obsidian found in Arkansas?
                          Other than the bigun you have a nice collection.
                          I like the striped ones as well.
                          Bone2stone
                          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                          Circa:1982

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes. To get to the obsidian blade, it was defiantly found in north Arkansas, along the little red river valley.
                            And yeah it is rare, and unheard of and I understand the shock and some disbelief. But the area has yielded several pieces that are from distant areas, leading to a conclusion that this must have been a highly traveled trade route, as well as a rich vein/ mine of manite (please excuse any mis-spellings!) So I BELIEVE, and I'm no Dr in anthropology, that the people indigenous to this area through out time were " rich" with local resources and also lived along a well travelled route.

Comment

welcome to the arrowheads.com forums
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X