Hello from Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Indiana

Hey folks. I’ve been browsing your forum for a few years as a learning resource and have always wanted to join. I’m hoping to learn more and to maybe contribute myself.

I inherited rock hounding from my grandpa, like ya’ do, and it was a part of every fishing trip here in south central Indiana, but I’d never had any experience with lithics aside from a point he had given me that I still have today. A wonky, crudely made little point (which I can’t identify for certain) that I treasure like no other. Needless to say – it changed me. But there was never the time or means to explore it.

Then a few years ago I found myself with (almost literally) nothing but time. I was out walking just wondering what it all means, like ya’ do, when something out of place caught my eye. Before my hand could even touch it, that feeling I’d had as a boy holding that arrowhead was welling up around me. This... kind of fear, in many ways. A memento mori I’d not yet been desensitized to; whispering from thousands of years away that I am doomed. That I am a fool and will never get back all the time I waste. You know...exhilarating. I didn’t know exactly what it was. I just knew it had a pulse. Everyone told me that it was a rock. But an archaeologist told me that it was an adze. Then everyone else said it was still just a damn rock. So they were cool with me picking them up. And I did.

I started flint knapping. Obsessively (but ethically, I assure you). It’s all that makes sense right now. On occasion while in pursuit of material, naturally (and respectfully, mind you – of our ancient cousins and the law) I happen upon a rock that’s not like the others. But despite all my intuition and studying and searching, some of them leave me confused. It seems most of the focus is on points, which I also have trouble identifying for certain sometimes because that whole system just seems a mess to me. I’ve only found a few, but one I just found is what prompted me to finally join to see if you all wanted to check out my rocks. They’re pretty sweet and come with a 100% pareidolia free guarantee.

Welcome to arrowheads.com
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome fellow Hoosier! You are in a great area for both ancient relics and the raw materials they used!
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Welcome to the site and if you're going to leave the pareidolia at home, even better!
          Look forward to your participation.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to the forum Evan in NJ
            New Jersey

Comment

Welcome from Florida...Sounds like you got the makings 😊
              Floridaboy.

Comment

Welcome from Georgia
                🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Welcome
                  South Dakota

Comment

Welcome to our forum from Alabama. It is a good introduction. You write well. Show us the points you have questions about and we'll try to help ID.

Comment

Welcome from northern Indiana!

Comment

Hello, welcome, south central-ish indiana myself, looking forward to seeing your discoveries...🙂🙂
                        JR, from jackson co, southern indiana

Comment

Working...
                        X