Avonlea Points from the Big Sky Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avonlea Points from the Big Sky Country

I am new to the Forum but been collecting in the Big Sky Country since 1955. Just published a book on one major aspect of the Archaeology of the Northwestern Plains. The region has a wonderful variety of colorful lithic materials. One of my favorite point types are the Avonlea which are considered to be among the very first true ":arrow points" to appear with the introduction of the bow and arrow. They are extremely fine and delicate and a very scarce type found only in this small geographical region.

Welcome to the Forum nice collection of Avonlea points .

Comment

Welcome to forum from Ga. Awesome collection of points
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Welcome.. nice to see someone else from here.. few and far between.

I have found quite-a-few avonlea points on my place. I've posted a lot of them the last few years. Please check them out and PM me if you have any thoughts you'd like to share. Sounds like you have some knowledge!
        Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Welcome from west central Florida...Sweet points..what’s the average size?
          Last edited by Hal Gorges; 11-09-2021, 07:45 PM.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

John, great to see you around the forums again! Amazing Avonlea points.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Welcome have anything to show for scale ty

Comment

Nice collection welcome from Georgia
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Those are cool points....good show..welcome
                  SW Connecticut

Comment

I should have put in a scale. average lengths are 1" to 1 1/4". Really long ones will make it to 1 1/2" with examples 1/2" are not uncommon. Small sharp bison killers.

Comment

Exciting to see such a comprehensive display of the type. The quality and color of the stone highlights the lithic richness of Montana (?).
                      California

Comment

Welcome to the forum John, nice introduction, thanks for sharing.
                        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi BSR. Welcome to our forum from Alabama. That is an amazing variety of colorful lithics. Nothing like that at all on my old hunting grounds. Glad you are very knowledgeable. I'm looking forward to having you share your knowledge with us.

Comment

Hey John, That's an outstanding collection of Avonlea Arrow Points. Welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing more of your collection.
                            Michigan Yooper
                            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

welcome that is a very fine type collection
                              Wyoming

Comment

Working...
                              X