Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It all started with an obsidian flake...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It all started with an obsidian flake...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3616.jpg Views:	93 Size:	30.4 KB ID:	621102

Recently relocated to southern New Mexico for work. My husband picked up this obsidian flake one day and told me it was an artifact. We've come to learn this mere flake is actually quite notable as the area it was found is hundreds of miles from the nearest natural obsidian deposits. I didn't quite understand then, and I still struggle to comprehend just how old some of these treasures are.

What began as a flake here and there has quickly turned into an abundance of interesting and exciting debitage as the miles and hours stack up. We have even found a handful of tools, scrapers, points - mostly broken, but tantalizing nonetheless. I look forward to sharing some of our best finds with you and the opportunity to discuss and learn more.

M
    Last edited by mmrat; 03-20-2022, 08:47 AM.

Welcome from Georgia
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Welcome to the forum....nice intro.....good looking material there
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Great introduction, welcome to the forum.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota…..👍
          Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

welcome to arrowheads.com forum pages
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome from west central Florida
              Floridaboy.

Comment

Look forward to seeing your finds.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind welcome. Seems like a lovely, knowledgeable community around here.

Believe it or not, this is the one single example of obsidian we have been able to find so far.
                  Just the thought of something complete made in such a beautiful material has kept us coming back!
                  Last edited by mmrat; 03-20-2022, 10:12 AM.

Comment

N Mex has huge deposits of obsidian. If you can make the trip up to Bandelier, the Jemez has mega specimens. Here's some Marekenites found in west central NM out of the villages at Mule Ck.
                    The rare large nodes are the hardest of all obsidian. A powerful energy stone...

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09479.jpg Views:	4 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	621758
                    Last edited by Rio Del Norte; 03-22-2022, 08:30 PM.
                    San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

• mmrat
                      mmrat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How beautiful, thanks so much for sharing that with me. We've been wanting to make a general rockhounding trip up that way - maybe this summer.

Howdy from Texas! Looking forward to seeing your treasures.

Comment

Working...
                    X