Texas Public Land - An Inside Joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Public Land - An Inside Joke

I moved to a sleepy little rancher town in central Texas about a year ago, had never stepped foot in this state before. My wife and I came from western Washington state in order to escape the liberal apocalypse.

How anyone could live in this region and not be interested in all sorts of crafts and trades relating to primitive skills, tools, knapping, geology, archeology, or plain old history - is beyond me.

I live on a mountain of chert-flint-limestone, every fenceline I can see from home is tangled in Osage Orange trees, deer antler borders on tripping hazard, every person I meet has a box of arrowheads or debitage found while fixing the porch or putting in a new mailbox.....so on

My wife works at something like a school and she complains about all the arrowheads that keep ending up in the laundry... I'm pretty sure they built this place directly on top of an old Indian village.

But this is Texas, so I gotta get these weird western ideas out of my head. Finders keepers and trespassers get shot. I'm starting to make inroads though, you just need to get to know people. They've had these ranches for over 100 years. They're not about to let strangers roam around.

I've got truck loads of flint in my back yard now, learning how to knap and already sold and shipped off a bit of rock through Etsy. I'll let you know as soon as I obtain some of these local artifacts.

My tiny backyard in 104deg Texas:

CenTex has some of the highest density of sites and sheer tonnage of raw materials of almost any place in the US.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Luke Chert
      Luke Chert commented
      Editing a comment
      The weird part is that my wife and I actually met in Wenatchee and I knew nothing (yet) about the archeology significance there either.

There are many places that you can dig for a fee. You are right on the richest artifact areas in America. If you want to hunt ranches, volunteer to help with fence work or feeding cows. Those ranchers are the salt of the earth. Get to know them and you will have all the places you want .

One more thing..... learn the proper use of the word "yall" and lose the phrase "you guys".

Comment

• Fla.Hillbilly
      Fla.Hillbilly commented
      Editing a comment
      "One more thing..... learn the proper use of the word "yall" and lose the phrase "you guys"." 100% also if you have any accent that puts you to far north or west loose it. Good luck, and do as you say,say as you do will get you a long way. I love seeing Texas artifacts so gitrdun.

• Luke Chert
      Luke Chert commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with everyone about how great the people are here and we're actually being welcomed in to many different folks lives already. My wife is already talking like she's from here and I'm getting the hang of 'yall.

Ditched our WA plates as soon as possible, and have already had a lot of serious talks to explain that we moved here to get away from all that, not to bring it with us. Showed up with young kids and a handsome older Chevy truck so we fit in quick. God bless the people of Texas.

I love it😊...Good for you..
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Be forewarned: there are jealous/envious members like myself think artifact hunters in Texas should have a handicap assigned, like golfers….!😉
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        😄

• Narrow Way Knapper
        Narrow Way Knapper commented
        Editing a comment
        How about an eye patch? 😁

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        🫣?

Welcome
      South Dakota

Comment

Welcome
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

A knapper's paradise!
          South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m moving to Texas

• Luke Chert
            Luke Chert commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't forget the 104deg part. Rock shards and sweat aren't quite Eden, but I'm trying to love it anyway.

good on you
          Wyoming

Comment

Welcome fellow Texan, looks like your in a good spot, public land not much of that , what we do have is a huge network of rivers where the natives thrived for millennia and left.behind an artifact record the experts are still trying to sort out
            2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Another thing, there has to be a feed store close by where the old cow hands hang out . Probably drinking coffee about 8am. Perfect spot to volunteer work for arrowhead rights.

Comment

Admin, please delete this post and my user profile. I couldn't find the function or menu. Completely freaked out by your handling of the issue raised and will unfortunately be removing Arrowheads.com from our list of recommended online resources to new stone knappers.

Comment

• south fork
                  south fork commented
                  Editing a comment
                  adios amigo

Well that got wierd quick, haven't learned southern hospitality yet? adios amigo
                2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Working...
                X