Ash tray or real Indian artifact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash tray or real Indian artifact?

Recovered this from the Connetquot River in Oakdale N.Y. under a few feet of organic silt. This area was known to have native Indians along its shores. Is this Item the real thing or a ash try item was totally blackened by silt.

This was turned on a wheel. Native Pottery was not made this way. How big is it?
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It's a turned piece but does look old. Perhaps from early settlers to the area.
      Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Kinda looks salt glazed in technique.
        Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

That's an interesting piece of pottery. Like Matt said it was made on a pottery wheel. The blackened spout reminds me of ancient oil lamps where the wick was placed in that spout.

I have a stone oil lamp that was recovered on Kodiak Island in Alaska. I think your pottery is more modern than any oil lamps that I have but feel that it could have been used as one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oil lamp 1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	671336Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Lamp 2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	671337Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Lamp 3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	671338
          Last edited by Ron Kelley; 01-14-2023, 10:18 PM.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Your pottery didn't come from Israel but it could have been used like this ancient oil lamp in my collection:

Name:	Iron Age Oil Lamp.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	671327
            This is a terra cotta oil lamp from Israel, Iron Age (1200-560 BC), the shape is spouted bowl with flattened lip, rounded base. In this early open-style lamp, the wick was placed in the pinched area and the oil was exposed. 14.5 cm wide, a SUPERB example.
            Reference: Adler 11.
            The first part of the Iron Age was the time of the reigns of Saul, David, and Solomon (1020-930 BC). Oil lamps like this one were the only sources of light after dark or in closed spaces. David Hendin purchased this oil lamp from a licensed dealer in Jerusalem more than 30 years ago.
            Michigan Yooper

Comment

It’s still a very nice relic
              South Dakota

Comment

Pretty sure Ron nailed it. If I knew the size I would have said same. However after Ron's comments I googled clay oil lamp and boom Etsy style. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1175446...-5&frs=1&sts=1
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Quest, Welcome to the Arrowheads.com Forums. Even though your piece isn't ancient I do believe that it has some good age to it. For that reason I hope you don't burn it. Here is a modern reproduction of the more common closed type and I did burn it.

Name:	Modern Reproduction.gif
Views:	137
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	671354
                  Michigan Yooper

Comment

• Quest
                    Quest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I dug this item out with a crab net 22 feet off shore in the river this was all Vanderbuilt property in the old days but I was told that Indians inhabited this area along the river. Is there any way to make out its true identity and was in fact of native Indian item.

• Quest
                    Quest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just hope I don't pull up any Skeletons.

• Ron Kelley
                    Ron Kelley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey Quest, As Hoss said; The native americans didn't use a potter's wheel to make their pottery. It's not Native American but I don't know who made it.

I have been known to throw a pot or two . I agree with the wheel theory . It is a thrown pot .

Comment

• Quest
                    Quest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm still interested who made it and what was it for.

I happy to announce that since I posted my clay pottery and the help I received new information came to light. Yes it is a oil lamp most likely introduced by early European settlers going as far back as the 1700's. Indians did not use pottery wheels back then. thank you for your help.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Awesome. Lots of experience on here. Nice solve guys.

Comment

Hay Quest great thread. That's what I like about our forum, it gets people thinking and helps out anyone with a QUESTion, (Pun intended). So a hardy welcome to arrowheads.com Kim from Pa.
                      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
                      X