Coins found a few years ago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coins found a few years ago.

Here is a coin that says Cherokee Trading Co. Thomasville on one side. And says Merchandise 10 at Commassary on other side And a 1909 Indian head penny with a dent in it. A 1946 Canadian dime, and a 1945 Liberty dime. Also found 5 wheat pennys in same spot. I have done some research on the Cherokee trading co. coin and cant find any info. Any one have any ideas?

That is probably a store card...token used to buy goods. Also some mining, logging operations gave these out as pay to be used at "their" commassary! A win-win for the employers. Check the reverse of the 1909 indian cent under the arrows with bow around them, hope you see a S under it! Cool finds Robert!

Comment

The back of the Indian cent has what looks like a shield at the top and a wreath around the sides to the bottom, and says ONE CENT in center. Dont see an S.

Comment

Didnt think you would but just in case, In bad shape a 1909-S is worth $ 400. Rare coin!

Comment

I found these by a lake on my inlaws land in North Florida doing some metal detecting.All were close to a large oak tree. Also found several points around the lake.

Comment

That token is cool! Some are very valuable some common, I looked in my book and its not there. Do a little more research on it, may be worth your while. And dont clean it! Mark.

Comment

I havent cleaned it. It does say Thomasville and i think Ga under Thomasville which is not too far from here. But still couldnt find anything. I've even asked some older locals in the area and they werent familiar wiyh the token.

Comment

Its most likely civil war era. My red book has nothing on it? Ive collected coins since I was 6 but not tokens.

Comment

Wow. I had no idea. I will really try to look a little harder into it.

Comment

Try ebay...pretty good research tool for coins. But remember it was a dug coin so condition is an issue.

Comment

Hi Robert
                      I collect token currency of various kinds. The view that this is civil war era is highly likely. Tokens like this were in use on sugar and cotton plantations, lumber mills and mining operations particularly. The Cherokee Trading Company had obviously got itself a contract to be the sole supplier of provisions to one of these industries in the Thomasville area, although it might have been a relatively small company itself.
                      There are literally thousands of different types of these tokens... some bearing names and/or dates and some not. You might like to check out this book:
                      "Georgia Trade Tokens" by Randall D. -and- James D. Partin
                      It was 'self published' in 1990 (ASIN: B0006EXH0K) by the authors, but a decent library should be able to get a copy on loan.
                      Roger
                      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks Roger, I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
                        X