Commodore Vanderbilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commodore Vanderbilt

Okay, so this is not a new SE VA artifact find, but it keeps me sane during the buggy summer months. As many of you know, I quit hunting the Chesapeake beaches in June when the biting flies and midges are a plague, and I won't hunt again until late September. But my new, second hobby keeps me busy-- z scale model trains. I just started into the hobby and unlike the points and fossils I find for free, geez, this hobby can be expensive!!!!! But what fun.

I'm just setting up my layout and here is my favorite steam engine, the 1938-era New York Central's Commodore Vanderbilt, the first steam driven streamliner making its maiden run. It's a brute and only 3/4 inches high! I was space-challenged so HO and even N scales were out of the question. So here I am modeling structures and scenery in a scale that if it drops is often never found again. Lol!! Woo woo!!!
    Child of the tides

Holy Hanna Deb, you weren't kidding. Those itty bitty things are expensive. the madness grandma and take up knitting.
    Micro-Trains Line-American made N Scale and Z Scale Model Railroading Supplies. Home of the Magne-Matic and True-Scale couplers.

Seriously though Deb, There is zero harm in having any hobby that keeps you occupied and entertained.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Well yeah..... it's an expensive hobby but I'm getting most of it for free. I planned in advance & sold a bunch of stuff on eBay & consignment shop, banking what I made on PayPal. When it came time to shop, I paid with my balance. Very little went on my credit card.
      I think we all have "stuff" we can live without & I spent a year clearing out & selling.
      Child of the tides

Comment

Great start, A Field out there with a couple People walking it might look good.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree & I can till my field!

That's cool Deb! The detail for such small stuff is amazing, especialy in the train station. Keep us updated with new additions!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That is super cool, I can't wait to see how it all turns out. A creative mind and a load of patients seem a necessity for this task.

Comment

Looks like a great new hobby hope you enjoy. We do a lot of miniature gardening at the garden center I work out so I can't wait to see what you create.
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Video!!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Havenhunter
                Havenhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Sitting here laughing because I'm a loooong way from a video.

Nice Deb. My cousin has been involved in the model railroad hobby since we were little kids. Not sure what scale but they are small. He's a train enthusiast/nut...seeing that pic reminded me of him.
              The chase is better than the catch...
              I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Havenhunter
                Havenhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I must confess it's as addicting as arrowhead hunting!

• BabaORiley
                BabaORiley commented
                Editing a comment
                He is really into it. I don't know if you have ever seen the model railroad exhibit at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. It is a gigantic layout but he has been called many times to assist them with it. Its a good hobby. I think he does the H/O scale?

Yeah, most of the O & HO folks snicker at the N & Z scalers. If you have the space the big trains are great. My train room is also our guest room.
              Child of the tides

Comment

It is amazing the different sized trains that people create and play with. A lady that worked for me a few years back knew I had a hobby. She said to me "you might appreciate this come with me outside!" . She did not say what it was but brought me outside to meet with her husband who was picking her up from work. The guy opens up his van and in the back is a 1/8 scale steam engine. He and his wife would travel to NY every weekend and play with the trains. LOL I never knew they made them that big or how nice they are. I think Quassy amusement park in Middlebury CT had a 1/4 scale they used for rides. Have not been there in 30 years. There are some 1/8th scale lower down at the following link. Greg this is right down the road from you. http://hawkinsrails.net/preservation...on/hesston.htm
                Last edited by Hoss; 06-26-2017, 05:16 PM.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That is very cool Deb thank you for sharing.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I know when I was growing up, every kid had to have a train set. It can be a very rewarding hobby for those who get into it to a great degree!
                  Rhode Island

Comment

• Havenhunter
                    Havenhunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Im in the train zone at the moment. The scale is a challenge at my age but I love the micro trains. Takes my mind off the silliness 300 miles to the north.
                Working...
                X