not ancient but very interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not ancient but very interesting

I couldn't figure out where to put this. This canoe is old but not ancient but the discovery is remarkable. It it was found within view of Kennedy Space Center.

Just an FYI for you. This is the 3rd time this has been posted.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• dr socling
      dr socling commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured as much. It has been all over the news. I just wanted to make sure that nobody missed it.

That is a Native American canoe , and in my eyes it is ancient .. awesome discovery
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Wouldn't that be cool to find that washed up on the beach. Pretty big artifact to stick in your bag!
      South Dakota

Comment

I might put an addition on my house to display it! lol BTW where was this link made before. There is so much to read here that I have only touched the tip of the iceberg. Where did other members put it?

Comment

It's a great find, but not ancient. There were square nails associated with it. It has to date to historic era, due to those nails. There was also traces of paint.
        Rhode Island

Comment

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hu...a-come-n802001

"Initial assessments suggest the canoe is over 50 years old, which makes it historic in age, but the approximate age of the canoe is not yet confirmed," the division said in a Facebook post Friday, adding, "Overall, its appearance and the presence of a cut nail suggests it is not a pre-contact canoe. In other words, it is maximum several hundred years old and minimum probably several decades old."
          Rhode Island

Comment

But the thing was a dug-out. It it was under water for more than 50 years. And it appears to have had a seat and "compartments". It's still pretty cool even with the square nails.

Comment

No doubt it is an amazing find .
              live looking at that .

Comment

Originally posted by dr socling View Post
                But the thing was a dug-out. It it was under water for more than 50 years. And it appears to have had a seat and "compartments". It's still pretty cool even with the square nails.
                Absolutely. it could be 19th Century. The Seminole, and probably other bands, were still living traditionally by that time. Could be somewhat older. We have not learned that much yet, it's only just discovered. It's just not early, or Archaic, etc. Since we're talking 20,000+ years of humans in the Americas, we're used to dealing with deep time, in human terms. This dugout is more recent, but that does not detract from it...

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                X