Turpentine collection system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turpentine collection system

Here is some photos of the turpentine collection system. They both show the cup, tin that directed the turpentine into the cup and the big nail the cup sit on. One of the heartwood faces has a rounded bottom scar on face and the other one had a flat bottom scar on face. The rounded bottom one was cut with a tool called a wood hack and the cut was all that was done and the turpentine would run out of the cut for around two weeks and the process was done again. The Flat bottom tool was called an acid hack and when the tree was cut, acid was sprayed on cut to make more turpentine run out. This was done again in about two weeks and at end of fourth week the turpentine was removed from cups. The face did not rot when the rest of tree did because of the turpentine remaining in that area of tree.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Other areas of the pine tree don't usually rot when the rest of the tree rots. Some of these areas is the heart of tree and area where limb joins tree. These are sometimes collected and carved into various things like wood spirits, Indians and other interesting forms. Here is an Indian that was carved from a heart wood knot. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5559.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	276037
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      That is beautiful artistry Johnny thanks for sharing the info and pictures.

Awesome post Johnny - Tam had posted a turpentine collection thingy not long ago. Do you know if it takes a certain type of pine tree to produce turpentine or just any. I know we've cut thousands of Florida pine and they had that turpentine smell in the sap or resin that came out. Also used to collect the lighter knot pieces to use for fire starters when we were camping.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      Most use slash, Longleaf and pines similar to that, not the little scrubby sand ridge pines. But that is a thing of the past in South Ga. don't know what they replaced it with.

Very interesting
    South Dakota

Comment

When I lived in South Florida ( Ft. Myers) u could still see the cutting in the Pines where they used to collect turpentine many many years prior ... it's cool to see it be cause of all the memories it is bringing back ... thanks
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

Hey Johnny, Interesting turpentine tin. I have used pine knots to start camp fires because of the fuel they hold.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Over the years digging some places that were turpentining woods I've found a lot of broken collectors. Only found a few whole ones and they were all like this one. This one was from the Flea Market, lol, sold for a planter. Someone "killed" this pot by knocking a hole in the bottom for drainage... so we use it for a planter.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• willjo
            willjo commented
            Editing a comment
            That is neat, I have played in woods and hunted in woods all my life and never seen one like that whole or the one Tam posted either.

Slash pines out our way , and I read it was the 2nd largest income for Fl .
          cleaned it up and put it in my kitchen window .
          Yes Tom those knots are great fire startes .

Comment

Working...
          X