Military Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Button

I was out hiking in the woods hoping to find some old glass and happened on this military button. It has Unique Toy Mfg Co Newark on the back. What little research I have done tells me they were making these buttons between 1916 to 1952. I'm not sure how it got there but it looks nice with the cork top bottle I found in the same ravine. I can't post this in the metal detecting section because I was not swinging a coil. I may have to get one now.
    fldwlkr
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2670.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	289176

Name:	DSC_2672.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	289177
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Hey Fldwkr...cool find there dude...clean it up and it'll look pretty good I bet. Lets see that bottle. You probably could have posted in metal detecting anyway...the resident Sensei is an easy going fella...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I'm with Frank - Let's see the bottle. I find glass all over this mountain but mostly broken. Lots of Mason and Ball jars for the Moonshine tho. :-)
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Very cool find . I would be so excited .
        yep get a metal detector looks like there is some rich history there .
        Might want to research the area if it was s trail .. any old homes .. the bottle might even be a clue for everyone .

Comment

Like above if you put that under metal-detecting Bruce will not only know exactly what it is but will probably have the history in your area . He has helped me identify so many of even my foreign coins .

Comment

It's not much of a bottle and it's cracked. The mold seam fades at the top showing it has a hand tooled lip. Transitional bottle between hand blowing and full automation. Before 1930. The ravine was part of a dump that was used for many years. The site contains springs that the native population believed had healing properties. A health spa type hotel was built and ran the springs dry. A village and college followed and the pile just got deeper. If there is a ditch in Ohio, they threw stuff in it.

Name:	DSC_2674 (640x427).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	289275
            fldwlkr
            Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

I never knew that about bottles .. hand blown but yes of course what did they do before automation . Nice timeline on that . That sounds like a pickers dream down there . I have seen stuff people have pulled out of old outhouses from the 1800’s . Hyperdermic needles , bottles .
              If the NA were there to you will find somthing . Sounds promising and fun to dig .

Comment

Working...
              X