Old tools from the dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old tools from the dump

Nice treat to find this set of tools at the dump recently. I was throwing a failed water heater into the metals area and noticed this group of tools off to the side, in a neat pile. Bravo to somebody for not tossing them in. Maybe someone with a father or grandfather either passed on or moved to new living arrangements left these. My mom would bug my dad to get rid of things so could be an old timer leaving his own things there...

Anyone familiar w the double ended tool on far right? Ive never seen one. Curves to a chisel on one end and tapers to a point on the other...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180306_083325-900x675.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	289534
    Location - Eastern Massachu

On a related note, I have found a few stone tools here over the years as well!
    Last edited by awassamog; 03-06-2018, 09:06 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Advice please, I'll use these if i have an application. Whats your routine for restoring/ptotecting? I usually spray w WD40, sometimes rustoleum flat black paint...

Comment

• SDhunter
        SDhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Soak them in vinegar for a day or two, and the rust will just dissolve away, and you can wipe them with a rag. I cleaned up an old axe head that way.

Awassamog - I'd use steel wool on them to get rid of the rust then just a light oil on the steel and maybe teak oil on the wood handles. That tool on the end kinda reminds me of a spud bar we used to align the bolt or rivet holes in steel when we were hanging iron for a building, mostly airplane hangars. Ours didn't have a wedge end though. By the way, those chisels look like they're made of good steel so they should hold a sharp edge if taken care of. I also still have my hand drill and a complete set of bits. You can still buy the bits for it to. Nice find.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Nice old tools there Awass. Chuck is right. That is probably real quality old steel. Steel wool and light oil will do it fine. Those wood handles look to be in good shape. Light wood oil like Chuck said or just leave them as is. I also have an old drill just like that. It still works very well. Sharpen those chisels to a 25 degree angle or a 30 is even better and will keep an edge longer. Those chisels should be probably be used with a wood mallet though. Awesome finds man...glad you saved them...
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I cant believe someone was throwing that stuff away

Comment

• awassamog
            awassamog commented
            Editing a comment
            In the past year i also rescued a flat/level head iron rake, clamming type rake and a long handled sledge, none of which i owned. Its great that not all people just toss good things away. Ive left a few things i didnt need & will continue to do so.

• BabaORiley
            BabaORiley commented
            Editing a comment
            You would be amazed at the things I have taken from the trash here in suburbia...

Nice old Tools! Most of them still look useable, I would call them retired and man cave material though. Imagine all the stuff they built? Thanks for sharing those!
          Last edited by Kyflintguy; 03-06-2018, 08:36 PM.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• awassamog
            awassamog commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, i love old tools, love to look but wont hesitate to use most of those, doubt ill mess with the drill but the chisels will be used over time

I can't believe people throw good quality tools away when they could donate them to practically anybody. The tool on the far right is a specialty tool. I've seen them in steel fabrication shops. The chisel end would be used for prying steel apart or making small alignment adjustments and the pointed end is used to align 2 holes when bolting something together. Used in erecting steel frames such as structural steel buildings.
          I own 3 of those Braces (that nice drill you have there)
          Winters in Arizona, summers in Michigan's UP. What could be better?

Comment

If you have a wooden mallet those chisels will last forever.
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• awassamog
              awassamog commented
              Editing a comment
              I dont have a wooden mallot. Is homemade ok or a specific brand or type?

• BabaORiley
              BabaORiley commented
              Editing a comment
              Check any woodworkers supply. They will have them and they would probably like to see those chisels as well.

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              As Baba has said "any woodworkers supply store will have them". On the other hand a homemade mallet is perfect. https://ibuildit.ca/projects/wooden-mallet/

thats a killer find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

One thing's for sure, they definitely aren't Chinese imports! Reminds me of the tools my dad inherited from his dad who was a carpenter.
              Child of the tides

Comment

Nice chisles I would love to own those. The crap they sell today just does not hold up.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                X