Calling Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Bruce

Can’t remember how I aquired this and there is to much on the net .... who ya gonna call ... Bruce buster

Not Bruce but the Sacagawea coin was issued several years and I think they were Brass, like all the other Dollar coins not Very popular. Not sure if they are still minted today.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Not Brass but another combination of metals that gives it the gold color and minted each year but not for circulation several different years.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Yes Johnny thank you . It seems to be brass .I did read it was actually put in Cheerio box’s for the public .
        There are imperfections I must look for that would make it
        very collectible .
        still looking .

Comment

At one time when you placed a 10 dollar bill in stamp machine, at the post office, you would receive these as change along with presidential coins.
          These had a great deal of magnesium in their composition.
          I found four of them scattered in a play ground wood chip area using a metal detector.
          They ringed in at a half dollar.
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that’s interesting

They were often confused with quarters because of the proximity in size. I don't know if that is why they stopped making them though. Ya don't see many of them in circulation any more.
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Havenhunter
            Havenhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            One of the US Mint's many hair-brained ideas.

Oh boy Tamara, where do I start with this? The history of your US dollar coin has not been a good one.
          The gold dollar was so freaking tiny that it was easily lost. The gold dollar (1849–89) was a tiny coin measuring only 13 mm making it difficult to grasp and easy to lose, a serious problem when a dollar was almost a day's wage.
          Losing 5 cents was much more acceptable that losing a whole dollar back then just as it is today.
          Half Dime
          15.5 mm
          1.24 g
          1794–1873
          Dollar
          15 mm
          1.67 gr
          1849–1889
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar...(United_States) Then your country came out with the silver dollar which found great favorability mainly do to its large size. However when the US Mint started to try and save money by replacing the dollar bill with a dollar coin a ton of resistance was met and they all but stopped minting those dollar coins. Most of the unpopularity seems to around the size comparison to the quarter, however my feelings are that it is more because it is so small in comparison to the half dollar. Yes the US dollar coin is similar in size to the US quarter but unless you are colour blind you can't miss the difference between a silver coloured coin and a bronze coloured coin. Here are a Canadian quarter, Canadian dollar and a US half dollar. for size comparison. And yes I do know that the US quarter is half a milometer larger than a Canadian quarter. It is the colour difference that really stands out for me. Click image for larger version  Name:	20180326_090701.jpg Views:	1 Size:	139.7 KB ID:	293093You mentioned the "cheerios" dollar in your reply to Johnny. Some of those cheerios dollars are extremely valuable. https://www.thespruce.com/cheerios-d...profile-768545
          I also noticed Deb's comment "One of the US Mint's many hair-brained ideas." In my opinion trying to save over FIVE BILLION $$$$$ is not really a hair brained idea. The United States Government Accountability Office (GAO) has stated that discontinuing the dollar bill in favor of the dollar coin would save the U.S. government approximately $5.5 billion over thirty years primarily through seigniorage
          Seignorage by the way is the difference between the value of money and the cost to produce and distribute it.
          Last edited by 2ndoldman; 03-26-2018, 03:00 PM.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I never expected this great amount of information .
            and I thank you .I was just going through a junk box and found this . I was looking it up getting frustrated and did a call out .
            Never heard bone2 Stones story . You certainly know US history more then 50% or more of our own countrymen .
            Well this little piece is not going in a cashiers hand .
            Again thank you for the history lesson .

Comment

Interesting information Bruce! Thanks for sharing your coin Tam!

I'm moving this topic to "All things Collectible" as I think its a better fit than in the "Metal Detecting" section.
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                2ndoldman commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree.
                Coins like those can be very collectable.
            Working...
            X