Double die quarter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double die quarter?

I found a Denali state park quarter last week. Under scrutiny, I saw what appears to be doubling. Do you see it? (top photo) The bottom pic is a "normal Denali quarter.

P.S. I am sorry for the grainy pic. that's as far as my camera could go.
    Last edited by Kentucky point; 06-28-2018, 06:02 PM.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

BRUCE! I yelled for him, he might know,lol
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Ky Point - That sure looks like a radical double strike to me. I've seen several State Hood Quarters listed as having double strikes, including Hawaii, Virginia, and Alaska but they're not showing that severe a double strike. Hang onto it for now and see what else you can turn up. I usually did my research with Littleton Coin Company when I collected coins years ago. Try www.littletoncoin.com and see what they have.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I also went into a local bank to find Kennedy half's. I got a 1971 Kennedy that had been off center struck (just barely) I am always on the lookout for errors.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Good catch. Error coin collecting has been something that I have not gotten into but there are tons of folks out there who do.

Without that die error your coin is worth exactly 25 cents

https://hobbylark.com/collecting/Ame...er-Errors-List

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	576.0 KB ID:	306235
          Last edited by 2ndoldman; 07-01-2018, 07:59 PM.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I wouldn't call that a double die. It looks more like early stage die deteriation or die slippage. possibly a double strike as chuck suggested but a double strike usually shows more prominence throughout the whole piece. A true double die is a very rare thing that is a result of human retooling of the die. It is still a cool coin. I was very in to coin collecting for a bit and I saved alot of pieces similar to yours.
            Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

If you want to an easy die variation to look for, go get some Susan b's and look for the 1973 p wide rims. They're not too hard to find but they carry a decent premium for being a more common variation. Do you have a red book by chance? If not, I recommend getting one.
              Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                I do not have a red book. I should probably get one. I have a mis-struck Kennedy half around somewhere. I have to post it.
            Working...
            X