Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody know about porcelain insulators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know about porcelain insulators?

I found this beside my neighbors barn last Summer underneath an old bucket. (looking for snakes) It looks too shiny to me, to be old. I found those body styles on the internet, but nothing informative. Any suggestions? Is there a really good website that has this kind of info?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1008.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	315351 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1009.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	315350 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1010.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	315352
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

The brown glazed porcelain insulators are of the more modern/common type.
    A bit of history about the Locke insulators

Porcelain insulators have not received the same level of interest as glass over the past 20 years of collecting. However they are equally historically significant and available in as many colors and significantly more styles.

https://www.insulators.info/

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the links!

Thanks Olden! yes the older insulators are glass have lead and turn color still modern but pre WW2 but still late 1800's early 1900's
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      It is older than thought it was then. Would this be a railroad, telephone or misc. insulator?

It probably was a wire to the barn

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      That would make sense. There was a 1930s/40s house that burnt down in 53'. It was about 200 yards away from the barn down into a ravine. It would make sense that they would have a phone line connecting the two.

It’s a power line topper insulator, most likely post- 1930.
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      It is still older than I thought it would ever be. I thought I got something from the 70's or 80's.

Well, post-1930 could mean 70s or 80s. 😕
    Deb
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh. Oops. Bubble is officially popped, lol!

Originally posted by Kentucky point View Post
    I found this beside my neighbors barn last Summer underneath an old bucket. (looking for snakes) It looks too shiny to me, to be old.
    There is no reference as to the size of your LOCKE 9995 insulator, however if it is 4 ¾ in. wide and about 3 ¾ in. tall then it is an insulator that was still being made up to 1971. Value is negligible for brown specimens at $1 - $2 (sometimes more on ebay). Cobalt blue, white, or green colored ones bring a better price.

These were generally used for power insulators.

Comment

nice insulator. Great information shared by all.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Now these I know for sure were from the 1890s. They were found on the decaying remains of a telephone post near Berkeley Springs West Virginia. They are from the old F. M. Locke company in Victor N . Y. according to the stamp. I can't find too much on these either, but I am sure of their age. The green one? Found twenty feet away from the others. I don't know much about this one either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1043.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	316365 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1039.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	316366 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1041.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	316367 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1040.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	316368

Comment

What are all of the letters embossed on the green/aqua glass insulator?

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            G.E. Co.

• 11KBP
            11KBP commented
            Editing a comment
            In the condition it's in the green one has a value of about $5.

Ethan , they are making a come back with designers . People are making some pricey light fixtures and lamps out of them .
          Get to work and that will buy you a new somthing for all your hobbies .

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            I an not that skilled. But a cool idea would be to invent a way to display your insulators without a shelf. Insulators are screwed into a post or rod. Somebody should make steel rods for displays just like you would find them on power lines.

Ok I’ll get right on that . Getting a welding machine in Georgia ..

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	000000011111.jpg Views:	1 Size:	176.2 KB ID:	317984

This is a view of an old telephone pole in Portsmouth Ohio, located about 25 miles from my house. The town is covered with hundreds of these insulators next to the tracks. Granted, it is illegal to knock them off of the poles, it is still fun just to look at them in there natural habitat. To make this sound weird, I used google street view to scan the railroad bed, and guess what? I found one laying in the ballast.

*Note. I do not condone trespassing on railroad property to get insulators or anything else for that matter. It is illegal, and unsafe.

Comment

KP
              I found this one on the beach..not to hijack thread just wanted to share
              Attached Files

Comment

• 11KBP
                11KBP commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting break, provides for a nice cross-section view.

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                My dad found an exploded Civil War artillery shell one day in VA, and it exploded in half horizontally and vertically: giving us a great view of half a nose. I'll have to find it.

Kentucky Point, I have over a hundred glass insulators at the moment and could certainly pass a few along if you are building a collection. I like the colored glass and they keep following me home. An old friend brought me more yesterday... much to my wife's dismay. I am not interested in selling them but perhaps a potlatch or powwow is in order.
              PM me if you are interested in some of them. I am in the Dayton/Xenia area of Ohio so we're not too far apart.
              Good luck out there, fldwlkr
              Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                I have plenty of them around here, we just haven't went yet. Feel free to post them here if you like, because I am looking for examples. If you have any color besides aqua or clear, then I would consider it, because the others are so common, lol! Thank you very much for the offer.

• 11KBP
                11KBP commented
                Editing a comment
                I love the colorful ones. Can you post some pics?

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                I was walking through a creek and found a cobalt blue porcelain insulator piece. That was heartbreaking!
            Working...
            X