Opelika show finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opelika show finds

Picked up some interesting bone effigies at show. Just interesting to have and neat subject matter. I think they are really well done. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6096.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	315709 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6097.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	315710 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6099.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	315711 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6100.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	315712
    South East Ga. Twin City

Johnny - I really like the whale in the third pic. It's amazing how some of it is really aged while others look like they were bleached. How can you tell if it's bone or ivory?
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I really don't know diddly squat about this subject matter. Are they real?
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        They are real but they are modren

Me too, I like the whale and the white fish next to it. All modern but all very cool. I’m guessing cowor deer bone probably, and some rubbed down with stain. Heck I’d a’ bought one or two myself. Cool stuff !
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

You have some hair pins there, some effigy items, just decorative pieces, some may represent Eskimo or Inuit, but a lot are south sea island type motifs, like Polynesia, Hawaii, Samoa, etc. An easy way to tell if these are real ivory or bone, vs. resin, is the static test. A lot of people use a little hot pin test. That's not necessary. An easier way is to take a small piece of paper, half the size of a postage stamp, then rub these on your cotton shirt for about 10 seconds, and see if they pick up the little piece of paper, due to static electricity. The paper will automatically " jump " to the piece if resin or synthetic plastics. Bone and ivory WILL NOT conduct static. elec., any type of plastic or resin will, however. The darker ones have been stained, the lighter ones really look like resin. They are to consistent in color with no ivory growth lines showing, or oxidation. I don't think these are very old, but maybe you knew that. But again, this is an opinion from photos.
        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Would the hot pin test be for smell ? Like drill out an antler smells like the dentist ?

• pkfrey
          pkfrey commented
          Editing a comment
          No, not for smell. A hot pin would go right into plastic and resin without any pressure. But you have to hold the hot pin with something else, or you'll burn your finger. the static test is easier and works anywhere, if you don't have a pin. I use the static test at flea markets.

Oh, so they are modern. Like I said, I have no experience in bone artifacts. They are definitely works of craftsmanship and beauty!
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I don't buy expensive pieces and price was good on these.
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Would of picked that up to . Love the hair pins . Now maybe do your frame work for the wall Johnny .

Now those are fun ! I can’t remember the movie I watched last night but it was about the old whaling ships . I brought up the discussion about the men wideling away at bone . In some of my travels I do have some ivory sorry predates green .
          Whale bone exhibits those fine lines .
          The African elephant shows like a tree with growth rings like this photo .

Comment

Hey Johnny, The bone items are very well done. I like all of them. I wish I knew what he used to "age" them. I really like the darker ones. Thanks for the pictures buddy.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• willjo
              willjo commented
              Editing a comment
              Ron all I know about them is they were a gift from a friend, I give him some knives when I see him and he usually gives me some Alabama points or something. This time it was these and I liked them and don't care what they are made of.

• Tam
              Tam commented
              Editing a comment
              Starbucks instant coffee on an antler came out awesome .
          Working...
          X