More Cork Tops and my first Poison Bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Cork Tops and my first Poison Bottle

It's been awhile since I have found anything worth sharing but today I stumbled on a couple cool bottles. The gravel bars I was hoping to hunt artifacts in were covered with leaves and didn't give up any flint. Before heading back to the truck, I thought I'd check a glass pile I've been neglecting. The water and weather usually expose a few for me if I wait long enough... guess I waited long enough.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3431 (640x598).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	327045 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3433 (640x427).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	327046
    The Furst-McNess has a hand tooled lip, making it the oldest of the three. The bumpy poison bottle had me hoping it was intact the moment I spotted it. It is a Vapo - Cresolene Co. bottle from 1940 and is the first poison bottle in my collection.
    No points but some cool glass for the display,
    fldwlkr
    Attached Files
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Hey FW - those are a nice addition to any collection. Don't see anything like them anymore. I remember seeing them all over the place when I was a kid.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Out of curiosity..how can you tell it was a poison bottle? Is it something to do with the glass design or did you find that out by looking up the bottle?
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Back in the really old days, before electricity, people would take their medicines by candlelight. For folks with bad eyesight, well... lets say it was difficult. Also for kids who didn't know any better, and adults who couldn't read. So if you felt around for your meds in a dark cabinet, the bumps would tell you POISON not ADVIL.

Very cool bottles Tim.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Thanks guys. The Furst-McNess Company continues to make products over in Illinois. They have been at it for over 100 years. BrokenArrow, poison bottles had bumps or dimples all over them so you would know what you had in your hand just by touching it. They were often Cobalt blue. Vapo-Cresolene was burned in oil lamps to kill germs in "sick rooms". The bottle has a 1794 patent date on it that Ebay schmucks use to say the bottle is an antique. This one has an Owens/Illinois mark and a 1940 date code on the base so it is 20 or 30 years newer than the Furst-McNess bottle. They are of little monetary value but are fun to research and collect.
        Good Luck out there,
        fldwlkr
        Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          That is quite interesting. I know of an old bottle dump that is just littered with blue glass. I'll have to try to make it back there someday soon.

Hey field walker that was a good day man ..those bottles are cool
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Good finds, the only one that i've ever found is amber. I'll try and locate and post a pic of it.

Comment

Very nice! My dad and I have found a few Furst-Mcness bottles. They began in 1909 btw. That poison bottle is awesome! Keep looking!
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Very nice finds! For me, finding an old bottle is almost as exciting as finding an arrowhead! History in a bottle!
              Child of the tides

Comment

Congratulations fldwlkr love the poison bottle!
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Working...
                X