Rare 7-up bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare 7-up bottle

I was in Portsmouth today, to see if I could trade some of the things I made, for antiques, or supplies. I was in an antique shop, and walked past this bottle, and did a double-take. This is a hard to find bottle. It was made in the 30's, during the great depression. I am not good at reading date codes, so I will have to figure that out soon. It was made in Dallas Texas, by the Owens-Illinois company. I just like the slogan they used: For the stomach's sake, do not stir or shake. I have seen bottles like that go on eBay for $70-$150 depending on the bottle. It was priced for $40, but I got it for $30.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0105.jpg1.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	328143 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0107.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	328145 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0108.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	328144
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

That is a nice one with all of the lettering in tact and the Dallas, Texas on the bottom has the double die mark as you mentioned on the quarter.

Comment

Nice find!
      My 1st ex used to love really old bottles. I had a collection in the back of my vehicle I'd found at junk yards for "emergency purposes". Hehehe. d;^)
      Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

Comment

Hey KP read the history of 7up. The inventor would put lithium in it for "medicinal purposes". The country was walking around buzzing from 7up . .the fed gvt. Banned it in 1948 they couldn't add it any more. ...so don't drink water outta that one ...hahaha. BTW ...that's a mad cool bottle
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by redrocks View Post
          Hey KP read the history of 7up. The inventor would put lithium in it for "medicinal purposes". The country was walking around buzzing from 7up . .the fed gvt. Banned it in 1948 they couldn't add it any more. ...so don't drink water outta that one ...hahaha. BTW ...that's a mad cool bottle

Name:	DSC_1075.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	328190 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1076.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	328191

I found this one in a creek bed. It has the ingredient list on it, and shows the Lithia Citrate (lithium) ingredient. it's a very cool bottle!
          Attached Files

Comment

In a creek bed?Nice . Those are the ones I remember getting outta soda machine for like a nickel...the noise if that bottle coming down the chute hitting rubber flap at the bottom was cool...probably 1960 ish . I always got the 7up ...liked the green bottle. Probably the Irish in Me hahaha
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Cool bottle and timing KP I just read the history of 7UP last week. I was walking in the tall prairie grass in SD and I stepped on a bottle. It was a Like diet beverage made by 7UP from 1967 which eventually became diet 7UP.
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Sweet bottle. The plant number is to the left of the Owens/Illinois logo and the date number is to the right. So it is from the Streator Ill. plant (9) and was made in 193(8)... or it is from the Glassboro, NJ plant (8) and was made in 193(6). I'm not certain which way is up on the bottle, so it's one of those. Definitely from the 1930's and the ACL labeling looks good for being that old.
                Good Luck out there, fldwlkr
                Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I forget myself. I'll take another pic.

Originally posted by fldwlkr View Post
                Sweet bottle. The plant number is to the left of the Owens/Illinois logo and the date number is to the right. So it is from the Streator Ill. plant (9) and was made in 193(8)... or it is from the Glassboro, NJ plant (8) and was made in 193(6). I'm not certain which way is up on the bottle, so it's one of those. Definitely from the 1930's and the ACL labeling looks good for being that old.
                Good Luck out there, fldwlkr

Straight up from the word Dallas is the back of the bottle. Straight below Texas is the front.

Name:	DSC_0138.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	328305 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0139.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	328306

Comment

Awesome brother!

Comment

Working...
                X