For the bottle Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the bottle Hogs

I found 5 of these coke bottles when I was deer hunting at Buffalo Gap in Tx. I got in contact with the president of the cola bottle collecting club at that time in Tennessee . He said that he had horses,Indians,stars,quakers,etc faced bottles but no Longhorns. And he wanted one! Now , I’m not a bottle hog but I thought I’d just hang on to these..1923 date Sweetwater Tx.
    When I contacted the Sweetwater chamber of commerce , they said no one remembered a distributor in Sweetwater so they did some digging in paper and indeed there had been a distributor there... 1922-1923 . These bottles were made for that distributor as many different bottles were made for lots of the coke distributors. The Tennessee president dug too, he said there were a case of the bottles with Abilene as distributor. 1 known from Blackwell Tx found in a wall. The five I found, an with two being taken by my uncle and crushed in his pickup bed.
    I figure if I live to 2023 I will offer one to UT as they are the Longhorns......JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Bottle hog here! Man, that is sweet! (no pun intended.) I love old bottles like that.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Cool bottles LM
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by Lindenmeier-Man View Post
        I found 5 of these coke bottles when I was deer hunting at Buffalo Gap in Tx.
        I’ve never seen one of those LM …really neat bottle.
        I have eaten several meals at Buffalo Gap and enjoyed the countryside in that particular region.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Found those by a dry creek, all the tops were peeping out of the ground as if they had been set there in a wood bottle crate.. I can’t believe to this day that cattle didn’t kick the tops off and break them . JJ

Do you find bottles all the time? If you do, your probably near a dump. Have you ever gone bottle digging before?

I just found out that my grandmother has a large dump on the backside of her property. A lot of glass scattered about, and a whole bottle once. Rotten time to tell me now! I won't be up there for a while.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Editing a comment
          I really don’t look for bottles...I know lots of folks collect them. My problem is, is that I’m always looking for stuff on the ground... JJ

What an awesome find, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	bottles.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	337870 Click image for larger version

Name:	CornPaint.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	337871 Click image for larger version

Name:	candygun-(1).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	337872 Click image for larger version

Name:	4minicokes.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	337873 Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniJug1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	337874 Click image for larger version

Name:	BoulderBenningtonStPete (3).JPG
Views:	206
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	337875 I have always picked up bottles while hunting artifacts, or anywhere I find them. I have dug for bottles many times, too. But my main passion is for NA artifacts from my immediate area and I haven't learned as much as I should have about bottles, nor have I appreciated them enough..... I joined a local bottle club a few months ago, went to their Christmas party last night. Meet once per month and have a big bottle show once/year. These small(ish) local groups like this bottle club are really "intimate" and you get to know new people (mostly OLD.....!), get more into bottles. Similarly there are local mineral and fossil and archae clubs. I've never been a "joiner", more of a loner and tight knit grouper....but the value of these personal local groups is increasing with my own age lolol.
          Last edited by tomclark; 12-14-2018, 10:08 AM.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Editing a comment
            I understand. I just pick up anything that I think someone might be interested in. I love those micro coke bottles..I’ve never seen those. I’ve found a lot of old cork bottles, but I’m mostly interested in the ultimate antiques NA artifacts !

At one time I had a large personal finds collection mostly small snake oil type 1800 hundreds . In my teens I did a lot of backhoe work in the S.F, Bay area N. California mostly in older sections of the cities . When moving I had them all wrapped and boxed it made it easy for the low life's to steal .

Comment

• tomclark
            tomclark commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh wow that is a bummer. I can only imagine...

• south fork
            south fork commented
            Editing a comment
            I had over a hundred that had washed out from an 1850s dump along a major creek that dumped into San Francisco bay . On my lunch hour I would walk the creek I loved that job . It was fill dumped on mud flats hauled in from San Jose ca and the slough and lower end of the creek flowed into the bay .
            Last edited by south fork; 12-14-2018, 05:47 PM.
        Working...
        X