Say it ain’t so Joe !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say it ain’t so Joe !

As you folks know I’m sorting out artifacts from the last 45 years of surface hunting here in West Tx.
    I showed some of these to Matt Rowe years ago , we went to war about them....So , I sent him some and he had to declare that they were indeed real...I’ve fought with Matt aka ( Neanderthal , Maximus Matticus Artifactus ) and lost the battle 90% of the time...Many of you don’t know Matt but he is more than a modern day Perino ...Also many of you may enjoy the new Overstreet book and may not know that he did indeed put most of it togeather...! JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Matt is a great guy.

I used to find pieces like that down in the Caribbean. Up through relatively modern time broken glass bottles were used for scraping by people didn’t or couldn’t spend money on tools. Flint scrapers also survived on the Plains well after rifles & metal knives had replaced more traditional Native American tools.

St Lucia and some of the other Atlantic side islands used to produce and export shark, skate, and eel hides for sandpaper & leather. Broken bottle bottoms and sides were great for scraping the chunks off the inner hide without cutting into it. They have that same steep edge from pulling backwards. I doubt your locals were processing sharks, but I’d imagine that bottle bottom would work similarly on some other hide.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      People always ask me if I’ve ever found a glass arrowhead...I haven’t but there is always tomorrow!

Ishi used a lot of man made glass for his points. It knapps very much like the natural glass (obsidian). BTW those are some great finds. Thanks for showing them.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      We think but could be wrong that some were used by natives enslaved by Buffalo hunters...I’ve never read what happened to the Buffalo hides and tongues that were sent back east as bounty....

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Either that or there were a few natives still out here after 1915 !!!

Those are cool man ..I found a glass point but it don't look real old...I think some one was messing around down the river where i kick
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      IDK , it could be the real deal !

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it ok to put a pic on here?

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Love to see the glass arrow !

Hey JJ check it out Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181126_095433.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	334214 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181126_095423.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	334215 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181126_095414.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	334216 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181126_095406.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	334217 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181126_095357.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	334218 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181126_095338.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	334219
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      You’ve got what I’ve been looking for! I may not ever find one but I think that’s the real deal !

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      You think it's the real deal?....that would be cool....I am thinking its problematic

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Well Red, Sir ... IDK but I can’t see someone going to a river bank to make a artifact unless it just a bad joke. Or even making a artifact and putting it there for a bad joke... So I’m in favor of real deal....

That is a super scraper, excellent flaking on that thing! I've found a couple glass scrapers in my short hunting career. Just found a small one made out of the side of a bottle the other day.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Those are rare in their own way. Makes a guy wonder. Matt used to be a regular here, and has checked back once in awhile.
      South Dakota

Comment

Hey Red, As is stated in the comment the purple tint and bubbles in the glass would indicate old glass. Not sure but I think I am seeing mineral deposits as well. It's kinda hard to tell in a photo.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for checking and info Ron I thought some one modern made it.... but those signs ur talking bout makes me think possibly old...cool

Eman
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Found it bro! Killer!

Comment

I'm with JJ I think it's real..and highly unlikely
            someone went down the river bank Knapping
            a snapple bottle to get their rocks off!

Comment

Wow.
              California

Comment

Working...
              X