Some new additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some new additions

My parents and I bought some bottles for Christmas. Most were from eBay, but the bottom pics I bought in my spare time in Lexington.

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (6).jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	338532 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (15).jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	338533 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (16).jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.6 KB ID:	338534 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (17).jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	338535 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (19).jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	338536

Here are some I got, not related to Christmas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0434.jpg1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	338537 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0436.jpg1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	338539 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0435.jpg1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	338540

And would you believe that we only paid $125 for all of this? Me and my dad are good bargainers who give low offers. It's kinda like that line in "The Christmas Story". "My old man bargained like an camel trader, and was twice as shrewd..."

The worst that can happen is if the seller says no. If he does, we pay full price.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kentucky point; 12-17-2018, 08:26 PM.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Does the family have a special area you like to display these.
    special shelf . They look great ! As a group what’s the favorite era .
    I am on the look out for old cork bottles in the area . So far only 80’s coke bottles .

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a small shelf in my brothers room. It is getting crowded, so a new on has to come in. I like 1800's medicine bottles and soda bottles from 1850-1950. I can't afford some of the older bottles, so 1910's stuff is what I mostly have. My dad dug some Civil War bottles before, but nothing crazy. If you are looking for old cork bottles, go on the river banks and creeks inside of towns or near towns. They are usually loaded with bottles with no digging effort.

I am going deer hunting now, and I have been busy all week, and tomorrow we have errands so I thought I would post a topic real quick.

Comment

Very cool bottles Ethan.
      You can learn a lot from your father on how to bargain for the best price.
      However I personally wouldn't brag about making "low ball" offers.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I just looked up the meaning. I thought it meant something different, but in this context I'll change it. Thank you for pointing this out. :-)

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually I learned Something out of This. I didn't know what It meant, just figured The same as Ethan. Flipping and Scalping is frowned on by Many, but Many will continue to do so though. Personally, old used Stuff is OK IMO

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought that it meant just below.

Like that blob top and the hutch from Ironton. I see the amber Coke is sitting on an Ingram's milk weed jar. I have one on my milk glass shelf too. Good luck with the deer tracking.
      fldwlkr
      Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        We only saw Gobblers tonight. As soon as turkey season ends, gobblers come out of the wood works...

I have a few new bottle searching sites to go to. The problem is that they are all in Pennsylvania. The first one is a gully beside my grandmothers house* in Washington county. The gully has yielded some nice meds, and agonizingly beautiful shards, but no sodas, or other beverages. This always puzzled me, until I did a little searching. My dad only digs for bottles if they are in winter huts**. He only cares about Civil War bottles, so he won't dig down to China to rescue a few 1890's bottles. I found out that we were only scraping the sides. We actually need to dig down deeper. I think if we go down five more feet, we can pull out a soda or two.

The next site is actually on the same property. My grandmother said that years ago, she was walking in the woods, and she saw embossed glass shards everywhere in one spot. There were also cork tops lying on the surface. I don't know why she didn't tell me before!

The next site is at my other grandmothers house in Schuylkill county. There was a brewery (to my surprise) at the bottom of a big hill, next to a firehouse and a creek. My dad say's he found pieces of local bottles, but he was to busy metal detecting to look for whole ones. The problem with this idea is that my uncle Frank is a local collector, and he and my grandfather likely cleaned out the place.

So far I have nowhere down here to search. But I know one thing. This summer when I am up in PA, I am getting on my bike with a backpack, a shovel and a walkie talkie, and I am not coming back till I find glass, lol!

*I have two grandmothers, my moms side and my dads side.

**A winter hut is what Civil War soldiers would dig for long stays at winter camps. They would add logs and build a small cabin. A couple soldiers shared the hut. When they were done, they threw their trash (bottles included) into the hut floor, to be found years later by relic hunters.

Comment

Those. Are nice bottles. Good purchase...my favorite is the 7 ounce EBW bottle it looks like the neck is tilted a couple degrees off being plumb
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Strangely enough, I am having a hard time Identifying where that bottle came from.

Hmm. You mean it just appeared outta nowhere. ? Or where it was made
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          It is a very fun hobby as long as you are not concerned about exact dates and locations. I am running out of shelf room, so I am probably going to buy old wooden Coca Cola or Pepsi Cola cases to store some of my "not so exciting" finds.

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          I like that first bottle too with New Orleans on it....very cool

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that is my favorite so far. The best bottle that I wish to have would top the New Orleans bottle. I will get a pic, then quote you when I have it.

Originally posted by redrocks View Post
        Those. Are nice bottles. Good purchase...my favorite is the 7 ounce EBW bottle it looks like the neck is tilted a couple degrees off being plumb

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottle.gif
Views:	87
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	338764 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottle2.gif
Views:	93
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	338765

These are the two (I fibbed. I can't just have one ) bottles that I would love to have before I kick the bucket, do the hop, bite the dust, etc. These are super rare and expensive so I probably won't find these easily. The one on the left is a Grey and Company Blue Lick Water bottle. These come in a few variety's in amber and in black. The second is a Brown and Company Excelsior Mineral Water bottle. I would definitely like to have one before my bottle shelf gets to full. :-)

Comment

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow those are cool looking bottles I agree. I favor the blue one. I think they used cobalt in the old blue glass for the color. Low level radioactive. But the deer on the black one is cool too. Man they're rare huh? Good luck you never know
      Working...
      X