Flat fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat fish

Found this bottle the other day near my RC cola bottle .. grandpas cellar its cool cuz the Liberty street package store was located right outside the Anaconda brass Mill in my town for 80 yrs ...the whole street was taverns and liquor stores .. half the town worked there back in the day. ...any way when I started my apprentice ship in 1973 at 19 yrs old as construction electrician. A lot of old seasoned journeyman had one of these in their back pocket...fit in nicely. They called it a "flat fish ""haha. Because the shape resembled a flounder...they called the quart bottle a "whale". Very important part of the trade back then haha. .... That don't happen any more as we know.. .and I'm not condoning alcohol use on jobsites ....especially construction. (KP) I know u must be shocked hearing this story as a millennial haha but that was acceptable back then. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181220_082940.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	338939 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181220_082956.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	338940 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181220_083053.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	338941
    SW Connecticut

Oh believe me, I know how it works, lol! When we work, we don't trade alcohol or anything like that. Instead we trade honey buns and cookies, depending on who made them that day. Sometimes we exchange sodas and Gatorade as well. Back in the Civil War, soldiers on opposing sides would sneak out of camp and trade tobacco, newspapers, odds and ends and yes, whiskey. During the battle of Burnsides Bridge in Antietam, the Union regiment captured the bridge so they could earn there whiskey back. (their whiskey was confiscated a few days prior) Btw, I missed being a millennial by two years. They call us I-Gen, or Generation Z...oh brother. (eye roll)

That bottle was made post-prohibition, due to the embossed warning on top. I love the fact that it has the original label on it. I don't see that to often. It has a very nice design on it too. If you need help with the cellar, just call me up, ha ha!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ethan .. there may still be a few more goodies there ..I gotta check....it does have numbers on bottom will that date the bottle?.. 9sideways. R349. 22-9

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Unless it had the same bottom mark as your RC bottle, the Saturn logo, then it is pretty much impossible to date the exact year of manufacture. Those are mold numbers and plant codes. Just a small guess, I would say 1940's or 1950's.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I hear ya like you said with the warning embossed in it after 1935 for sure ... thanks KP

Cool bottle Red!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Marshall there's still cool stuff down that cellar

May not be the case in the electrical profession anymore.. I worked in the restaurant industry for 17 years and there was always alot of trade going on and nearly everyone had a little something in their pocket to ease the frustrations of working in the service industry.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Yeah I hear you man I guess there could be frustrations in any industry accept artifact hunting....not everybody has what it takes to look down at the ground walking for 3 hrs. And get a stuff neck and like it .. hahaha
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Now that’s a cool find Red . I can’t believe the label . There use to be a guy that drank Scope all day at a job site . I think that use to be a decent alcohol %.

The best is Coca - Cola was invented in 1885 by a pharmacist
        His original formula contained cocaine from the coca leaf that’s where coca in the name came from . Then cola from kola beans with caffeine .
        1929? I think is when the trace amounts of the leaf were taken out .
        Bet some chores were getting done back then .

Comment

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tam. Melekalikimaka..yes and don't forget 7 up. Had lithium in it back in the earlyb1900s....prescribed it for many ills.

Well I had no idea about that .. interesting

Comment

Dr Who come get me in your time machine . I have a few cases of each to drop off at particular people’s homes .

Comment

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow imagine if we were around then ....that's funny
        Working...
        X