• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy Dog Bomb/ Red Dot Bomb/Yellow Dog Bomb

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	340434 Just a few inches long "bullet", solid metal with fins. Flechette You see these at flea markets once in a while. Used in WW2, Korea and last used probably in Vietnam. Over 200 mph when they hit. Throw em out by the handful or in packages or clusters. No boom.
    Lazy Dogs.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Hey Tom, I had always thought those were training bombs.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      I am surprised that they were actually used in war.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah Ron
      If half the effort were used to make peace,there wouldn’t be any war..Always a mystery as to seeing deceased people in a Z, no physical signs as to cause..Not really though. Death by concussion...&$#@*&$* It ....

Interesting , I’ve seen those...are they still hot ? I’ve not been in a long time but these 50 cal rounds are found around Alamogordo NM. My son has started going out there in the sand to ride. I’ve told him to steer clear of any ordinance as it is still hot. JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      They are solid metal, no explosive charge inside. Damage just from kinetic energy. Early ones were forged, later ones turned. @ 44mm long, .5" wide and about .5 oz Later flechettes were actually nails.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Ok, now we use titanium rods dropped from much higher attitude ...Rail gun too, no charge just super acceleration...

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      All I ever saw were the toothpicks..

I have seen a few before, but I thought they were just duds. I remember handling one at an old army vets house, and then I picked up they round beside it. "That's still live" he said. I think he was joking, but then again...

So what is the point of those? You just drop them out of a plane? Wouldn't you rather have a kaboom? You may as well drop anvils and pianos.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_Dog_(bomb) Lazy Dog anti-personnel missiles were designed to spray enemy troops with small projectiles with three times the force of standard air-burst bombs. The Armament Laboratory worked with the Flight Test Laboratory to conduct wind tunnel tests of a Lazy Dog anti-personnel missiles were designed to spray enemy troops with small projectiles with three times the force of standard air-burst bombs. The Armament Laboratory worked with the Flight Test Laboratory to conduct wind tunnel tests of a number of bomb shapes which design studies indicated to be the most efficient for stowage and release from high performance aircraft.[4]

Experimental Lazy Dog projectiles of various shapes and sizes were tested at Air Proving Ground, Eglin AFB, Florida, in late 1951 and early 1952. An F-84 flying at 400 knots and 75 feet (23 m) above the ground served as the test bed while a jeep and a B-24 were the targets.[4] The result was eight hits per square yard. Tests revealed Shapes 2 and 5 to be the most effective. Shape 5, an improved basic Lazy Dog slug, had the force of a .50 caliber bullet and could penetrate 24 inches (61 cm) of packed sand.[4] Shape 2 could penetrate 12 inches (30 cm) of sand—twice as much as a .45 caliber slug fired point blank.[4]

The Shape 2 projectile was sent to the Far East Air Force for combat use by mid-1952.[4] FEAF immediately ordered 16,000 Lazy Dog weapon systems.[4] An Air Force Lieutenant Colonel named Haile attached to the Armament Laboratory spent 90 days in Japan to set up local manufacture of the Lazy Dog weapons and train crew members in their use. Project Lazy Dog continued throughout 1952 to determine the optimum characteristics for stable dispersion containers and the feasibility of substituting a Lazy Dog warhead for the explosive nose of the Matador missile. The Lazy Dog program was still ongoing in the late 1950s.[4]

Lazy Dog projectiles could be dropped from almost any kind of flying vehicle. They could be hurled from buckets, dropped by hand, thrown in their small shipping bags made of paper, or placed in a Mark 44 cluster adaptor—a simple hinged casing with bins built in to hold the projectiles, opened by a mechanical time delay fuze. The adaptors themselves were 69.9 inches long and 14.18 inches in diameter. They would be shipped empty, then filled by hand. Depending on how many projectiles could be packed in, loaded weight varied between 560 and 625 pounds, with the theoretical maximum number of projectiles listed as 17,500.

Regardless of how they were released into the air, each "Lazy Dog" projectile would develop an enormous amount of kinetic energy as it fell, penetrating nearly any material upon hitting the ground. Some reports say that their speeds often exceeded 200 mph before impact.[5]ial upon hitting the ground. Some reports say that their speeds often exceeded 200 mph before impact.[5]

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      This is officially the biggest comment I have ever seen! Wow! That's a lot of neat info! Basically like an enormous bullet. Gotcha. I was with Ron, I always thought they were training bombs.
Working...
X