Weird clay figurine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird clay figurine?

I run across some weird stuff and bought this figurine this morning. She definitely wouldn’t win a beauty contest but I couldn’t resist. I think it’s a old tourist trinket but who knows? I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story. Please comment and thanks for any information ahead of time.

Von

Nice figurines I would have bought them also if I could have afforded them. The lady is interesting because she is using a grinding trough and I have one of those and it is has three legs also.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Von
      Von commented
      Editing a comment
      All of the pictures are the same figurine. When you have time post a picture of your figurine. I would like to see it and compare it to the one I have.

Von

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      Von I don't have a figurine, I have a grinding trough like she is using

• Von
      Von commented
      Editing a comment
      Well that’s cool! At least it’s made similar to a actual artifact. Thanks for the information.

Von

you most likely have seen them but I will be glad to post a photo of it here if you would like. I saw them out west at some of the cliff dwellings and I saw this one at my friends flee market both and bought it may or may not be an old artifact.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6263.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	347361 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6262.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	347362
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Holly Molly Johnny !!! Where did you find that ?

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a flee market find and don't know if it is ancient or not. Was supposed to be but you know how that is

• Von
        Von commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a great Flea Market find and why my wife and I go junking! You just never know what you will find?

Von

Well? Your right it’s hard to say. Just looking at it I don’t think it’s thousands of years old but it could be hundreds?

Von

Comment

Well, like you said, it is weird. Lol
        South Dakota

Comment

• Von
          Von commented
          Editing a comment
          Weird yes, but I couldn’t resist. I guess I’m easy because when I find something strange or old I buy it. Maybe someone here will have seen something like it?

Von

• SDhunter
          SDhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it’s actually unique.

• Von
          Von commented
          Editing a comment
          It is that! I’ve been looking on the net and haven’t found anything quite like it.

I’m just bumping this for information. Someone has to know something about it?

Von

Comment

That is a cool figurine Von.
          Johnny, your actual grinding table is top notch.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

It looks just like my wife making homemade bread. .

Comment

• rock ON.
              rock ON. commented
              Editing a comment
              She won't appreciate you posting those pics!

• rock ON.
              rock ON. commented
              Editing a comment
              Or my sense of humor.

• Von
              Von commented
              Editing a comment
              Well you should have taken her out!

I hear ya!! LOL

I was going to ask you if she was angry because of the work, her weird ears or that you hadn’t bought her some decent clothing?

Comment

• rock ON.
              rock ON. commented
              Editing a comment
              No, it's because she thought I was going to take her out for dinner that night.

I’d have bought it too, but I don’t think it’s ancient. All the effigy clay statues I have seen depicting women all had the fertile “earth mother” look to them. Rounded belly, mostly featureless face, large breast. And I believe all of them were sitting cross legged. The only effigy I’ve seen seated with legs not crossed is a Quapaw one called the “Little Man”. He is seated with his knees bunched up in front of him. A friend of mine found it, and it is a thing of true beauty.
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I hear ya but this figurine makes no sense to me? She is working grinding corn or something. She has a normal body, nice hair but looks horribly angry! Overall all she’s disturbing and that’s being nice. I don’t know how old it is but I think it represents something old if that makes sense?

Von

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                I just showed this to my wife and she studied pre Columbian art in college, and her reaction was the same as mine. Something about the body isn’t right. Like it doesn’t go with the head. She said basicly the same thing, that images made to represent women doing anything like preparing food were so stylized, with (using her words, not mine)” big ole breasts and a big ole ass”. The head/face look right, but the hair doesn’t.

I’m no expert by any means, and I still think it’s a cool piece, no matter what.👍👍

It almost looks like a women’s body with a mans head from colonial times and the powder wigs .

Comment

• Von
                Von commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea I see that too but still have no clue what it represents? I found a few similar figurines on EBay that are said to be from Mexico. I may sell it but I want to know what it is first?

Von

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                The face looks very Central America....
            Working...
            X