Cool marbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool marbles

My grandfather collected a lot of...junk. He had everything from World War II gun parts, to 1980's Yuengling beer cans. When I was in Pennsylvania a few weeks ago, I went digging in a closet, and found an old mason jar full of marbles. He found these over the many years he worked as a heavy machinery operator. As he would clear the way for logging, power lines or construction sites, he would hop out and look around for antiques and artifacts. He never found arrowheads, but he would find marbles. These are the whole ones he found after work hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0905.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	350975

Cat's eye's

Name:	DSC_0906.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	350976

Swirly

Name:	DSC_0907.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	350977

Little cat's eye's

Name:	DSC_0908.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	350978

One of my favorites

Name:	DSC_0910.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	350979

Look at these clay marbles!

Name:	DSC_0911.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	350980

Beauty at it's best.

I have more, and I will post them soon.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Cool marbles. Your grandpa’s place sounds like it would have been awesome as a kid with so much interesting stuff.

Interesting how people find what they are looking for. Many years ago, during a drought, I spent several summer days walking some exposed sites at a reservoir back home. The same guy was there most of the time, and eventually he asked if I was finding much. “Getting picked over, did well the first few days, etc.” A couple more days go by and I see him at another site and walk over to chat after a nice find.

I show him a point and he says neat find but he’s never found one. I was a little confused until saw his bucket contained lures and fishing stuff that had snagged on the bottom. He wasn’t even looking for relics, and fwiw I hadn’t seen a fishing lure in my days walking those sites. In ended up waking the parts of the sites I thought he walked, and found plenty.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Blue/White one might be an Alley Agate 2 color Swirl. The oldest of the cat's eyes may be like the blue one in the middle of three. Looks like a banana. I never played with marbles growing up it really was just a little before my time that it was a hot toy but I LOVE EM now!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I know absolutely nothing about em'. All I know is that they look awesome!

Really nice KP, that next too last photo has some really old ones in it. Gotta take the time too look mine up.

Comment

I love marbles, I find them all over the place here and it always makes my day. The clay ones are called “commies” the white one with blue paint is probably a porcelain marble and that bigger brown glaze one is called a Bennington
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Cool KP if I remember we called the bigger ones "shooters"
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Love it . My days

Comment

Ethan
              Every once in awhile I find marbles like the clays on NA camp sites...
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Ethan I just noticed the clay ones whoa just beautiful .

Comment

Always had a thing for marbles. Played a lot with them when young.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Name:	DSC_0912.jpg1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	351502

Here is a group shot. Most are glass, some are clay. I don't know if the others are porcelain, china or agate.

Comment

Then here are two I found personally. These were in the foundation of an 1700's-1860's house. These are China marbles, i.e densely packed white clay with painted designs. I know about that much. Somebody said these date to 1840's-1850's.

Name:	marbles from third day of digging the foundation of a housesite.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	351505

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                        2ndoldman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Those are your best ones. 👌

• Tam
                        Tam commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Those are my favorite ..

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0916.jpg2222.jpg Views:	1 Size:	169.1 KB ID:	351584 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0915.jpg11111.jpg Views:	3 Size:	174.2 KB ID:	351588 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0914.jpg111.jpg Views:	1 Size:	165.7 KB ID:	351587 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_55618.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	351585
                      Attached Files

Comment

I was the marble king in middle school we use to play them at lunch. It was funny got to be when I walked out to play all the kids would scatter I couldn’t hardly get anybody to play cause I won so much. If you won you got their marble. I had a big bucket full of trophy marbles at home. Got married young moved and I guess my mother gave them away never saw them again.
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice marbles, I too remember playing marbles when I was a kid [ I'm 54 as of yesterday] and I remember that my best friend had a couple of those clay ones that he said were once his grandpa's, one day I challenged him to play one against me If I played my most prized marble. I won, but I knew how much it meant to him so I gave him back his family heirloom and he never dared playing one of those again.
                          Skip to modern times and a couple years ago I picked up a miniature working cannon at a gun auction and wanted to use it, but it being an odd caliber around .64 I didn't have a source for lead balls that size and started looking for an alternative, I saw a bag of modern glass marbles my daughter had and found that they were not all consistent sizes but at least half of them were .63 diameter which worked perfectly when wrapped with cloth wadding so I bought a couple bags for myself and have been firing them into the woods behind my house. so maybe decades or longer from now future generations will be finding these marbles and collecting them never imagining how they really ended up there.

Comment

• Kentucky point
                            Kentucky point commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ha ha! That would be an odd story to tell later on!
                        Working...
                        X