To restore or not restore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To restore or not restore?

I’m not sure what to do? I know that your just suppose to leave antiques alone but I just bought this old cobblers bench and someone in the past decided it needed a paint job. I’m not thinking about staining it just taking it back to the bare pine wood like the underside. Here’s some pictures. Let me know what you folks think?

Von

Nice piece. Too bad it was repainted but that happens a lot with old wooden antiques. If you know the original maker of it may be best to leave it as is and that's just based on what I have heard. It may hold more value if it was from a certain maker. Nice find there...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Von
      Von commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks I hear ya. I haven’t researched who the maker is but will. It’s a cool piece that I’ll probably hold onto because it’s actually a cobblers bench not a end table made to look like one.

Von

I agree with Baba and you about importance of any original paint but it sure would look better without that yucky paint lolol. Heck, I'd "restore" it.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

That paint doesn't look new to me. You can always take it off later, but I'd make sure it's more recent before you do.

Not sure where it's from, but a lot of pine furniture (cupboards, etc.) in the Midwest were originally painted blue or barn red because people appreciated the vibrant colors that often fade and oxidize to odd colors.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Just looking at that seat, I know I’d never be a cobbler , Lord have Mercy !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Von
          Von commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s more comfortable than it looks.

Von

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Not for my narrow butt !
      Working...