Wild Cherry Bitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Cherry Bitters

This was a really cool find in my grandfathers basement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0977.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	352977
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Saint Louis , nice one. Man I wonder what some of those old Remedies and such tasted like.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably nasty. This was a mixture of cherries, alcohol, bitter herbs, and assorted crap. Very interesting ideas of medicine back then.

Wow ! Snake oil !Either cure ya or kill ya! I like that Ethan ...
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      There was much, much, much worse than this stuff back then.

Awesome.

Thats a keeper.

Comment

Nice find for sure. Did your grandfather collect old bottles himself? Because I think you are a young man, I don't think grandpa used the stuff.

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        He was what the folks in the anthracite region call a "sheenie". He collected anything, as long as it was old. He would buy things at auctions, including old, but not valuable, bottles. My uncle (his brother) was the real bottle collector. He found many bottles, and kept them. This one was probably bought at an auction. My grandfather was born in 1932, so he didn't use this stuff.

That got me thinking of one of my favorite movies. Little Big Man. Dustin Hoffman was with a traveling medicine man , when the snake oil made people sick. Being caught , he and the Med man were tarred and feathered by the town folk. One of which was his long lost sister.. I’m laughing about the movie just thinking about it...
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• CTex
        CTex commented
        Editing a comment
        Outlaw Josey Wales has several great scenes involving snake oil, including "How is it on stains?" and "you drink it"

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember that scene, lol

Cool find, can you imagine having to chug that down?
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Can't help myself to look into things lolol. It was a "Digestive" bitter. https://youtu.be/oKqXz2yUfb4
        DR. HARTER’S WILD CHERRY BITTERS
        Circa 1885 – 1900
        DR. HARTER’S / WILD CHERRY / BITTERS / ST. LOUIS

Label: For the relief of all Distresses of the Stomach. Will check immediately all sickness and tendency to vomiting, settles and sweetens the stomach, correct acidity, improve appetite, aid digestion. Unequaled as a remedy for all kidney troubles. The combination of wild cherry bark, juniper berries, buchu and dandelion is the best general tonic and light stimulant on earth.

Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah right! Ha ha! They could cure anything that had a scary name with some tree bark, swamp root and a paper clip. Kinda like a Victorian age Macgyver.

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          Ethan, you would be surprised at the power of natural remedies. Alot of our modern medicines are derived from plants. Modern medicine has its "roots" in herbalism. Aspirin came from the bark of the white willow tree. You know where alot of the pain killers originate from? That's right, a plant..the opium poppy. Cocaine, which is used in medicine and is the parent of many topical and local anesthetics, derived from a plant. Marijuana has many medical benefits. Next time you have a headache, try some peppermint oil, altoids, or a fresh sprig of peppermint. Plants have very strong medicinal benefits!! Don't be lied to by the medical industrial complex and ticked into thinking that only their snake oil can cure a disease or make you feel better..after all, they are using plants to make the medicines that people use.

Really cool, is the color honey amber?

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          More amber than honey. I have a true honey amber 1870's flask on ebay now. This one is a little darker red than the flask.

That’s a very cool bottle. I don’t collect old bottles, but I do collect new bottles of odd alcohol. I don’t drink them, I just think they are colorful souvenirs.

Here is a bottle of Chinese Medicinal Wine from the Philippines I bought last week. I think it was $3 a bottle. Supposedly cures all sorts of “what ails you”, kind of a modern equivalent of your cool old bottle.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Come on man ! Take a swig !LOL

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd drink it.

• rock ON.
          rock ON. commented
          Editing a comment
          I noticed the alcohol content in that, here in Canada you'd have to get that at the liquor store and be of drinking age.
      Working...
      X