Parasitic worm bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parasitic worm bottle

I was walking along the store fronts in town today. I walked past the Christian Mission building that sells donated items, i.e clothes, dusty, smelly 1980's electronics, and terrible looking wall decor. It's basically a glorified Goodwill. Anyways, I walked past the window and did a double take. Buried under a pile of electronics, books and weird Boyds Bears statues, sat an aqua medicine bottle. I never saw a bottle worth buying, let alone a good bottle in a donation store. I gladly paid the $10 for the bottle an insulator I found beside it. The bottle is embossed:

Dr. D. Jayne's / Tonic Vermifuge / 242 Chest. St. Phila.

It was manufactured to kill round worms, calm an acidic stomach, flatulence, and wind colic. The contents were interesting as well. The national Museum of American History lists a few ingredients. Most are unpronounceable herbs, and the the final ingredient showed up. Alcohol. Guess how much was in there? Not 50%, not 60% not even 75%. It contained 95% alcohol. Yikes! That would kill off anything!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1095.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	355038

Name:	JaynesTinicVermifugeAdtall.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	355039

And here is the insulator.

Name:	DSC_1097.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	355040
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Nice pickups, well worth the price.

Comment

Cool old bottle, that poster is really a cool piece of artwork for the bottle.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Nice bottle. Looks like a hand tooled lip and who doesn't like blue glass insulators.
        The snow has killed arrowhead hunting lately but I have managed a few bottle finds. Pre-prohibition beer from Covington, Ky. and a ribbed Orange Crush.
        Good Hunting,
        fldwlkr
        Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Got to love those snake oil bottles... If after drinking the stuff I guess it would cure all a persons problems !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

When I was little, Vick’s cough syrup had codeine in it...Sure stop a cough too. We didn’t know people were hooked on the stuff. For worms there was Black Draw or Croten oil, but in reality it was for constipation. I don’t remember what mom use to mop our throats with. It was yellow liquid and she used what looked like a long Qtip .. Sure did burn...I’m not old enough to have drank cola with cocaine in it, but folks were hooked on that too......
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Tam
              Tam commented
              Editing a comment
              ok get this !! My mom had us open our throat to a sun lamp or the sun . She said the radiation from the sun killed bacteria . Ok I am 6 I understand that ????

Cool bottle and insulator. 10 bucks.. good
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Great finds . Yep good old snake oil to help what ales ya.
              I think it was a way for a person to take a few nips a day . Use to have herion , morphine . Think about it , it’s hard to farm all day . Cocaine in coke ...
              I saw a bottle only In a pic that were sanatized tapeworms to loose weight . Hmmmm

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                Lindenmeier-Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Dang Tam
                I just cooked and ate beer brian pork chops, sautéed asparagus , and a big grill baked potato.. Then , I come in here a read about the tape worm thing..... Ugh , near lost supper!

You and that cooking

Comment

Working...
              X