Amazing artifacts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing artifacts!

I bought these recently from a Gettysburg relic shop owner who's pride is his artifacts. He offers his own hand written signature and guarantee on his artifacts, so I know he is on the up and up. Anyway, after a phone call, and some emails, he helped me out a lot on some questions I had, and if he knew anything about camps where the 50th PA infantry camped at (my civil war ancestors). He does, and he is currently trying to contact the fellow he sold the bullets to. Anyway, before I keep blathering on, here is what I bought.

First up, we have a .69 Cal. roundball. This was recovered in 1956 at Antietam, The site of the bloodiest single day combat during the entire Civil War. This particular roundball was dropped in a reserve position in Pofenbergers woods. This farm was an important part of the battle, having the North woods and other spots on its property lines. Millers cornfield was in front of the house. After it was dug, it was donated to the Wentworth Military Academy in Lexington Missouri, where it was carefully cataloged and stored. The entire collection was sold in 2008, and Andy Keyser (the shop owner) bought a good part of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0618.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	367054

Just on a side note, could you imagine being hit with a .69 Cal. bullet?

The next one, is now the pride of my collection. This .58 Cal. bullet was found on Little Roundtop, in Gettysburg, during an 1880's reunion, by a Union soldier, who's last name was McPherson. The bullet stayed in his family for over 100 years, before being sold to a local Gettysburg collector, Mike Mancuso, who then sold it to Andy, who sold it to me. For those of you unfamiliar with little Roundtop, I will add the best video rendition of the battle (about 3 minutes worth) I have ever seen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0616.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	367055
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

From the Movie Gettysburg: One of the best movie scenes, and renditions of Little Roundtop ever.

The left flank of the entire Union army, lay on Little Roundtop. Regiments from Alabama charged up the hill many times against the federals who had arrived there just minutes before the destruction of the army. After hours of heavy fighting Northern regiments were running out of ammunition, and the Alabamians, as tired as they were, were threatening to overtake the federal positions. One regiment, the 20th Maine, was totally out of ammunition, and charged down the hill with Bayonets fixed, and drove the rebels down the hill, taking many prisoners.
    Last edited by Kentucky point; 05-14-2019, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Cool. Antietam holds personal meaning to me as my great-great grandfather, serving in Battery D, First Rhode Island Light Artillary, was killed by a Confederate sniper while his battery was crossing Miller's cornfield. My great-great grandfather was one of thousands of Irish immigrants who enlisted in the Union army.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AC0D76A2-F22C-48FF-A40E-F977C8FFE8F1-8878-0000032FBA527EF2.png Views:	1 Size:	846.2 KB ID:	367063
      Rhode Island

Comment

"The site of the bloodiest single day combat during the entire Civil War."

Antietam was also the single bloodiest day in American history....
        Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks Ethan, Thanks Charlie, Some great history there.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Good thread. When I think about how many men died some of these days, it just really is hard to imagine the horror
            South Dakota

Comment

The logistics of the bloody 12 hr. fight at Antietam

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Awesome.
                thanks for sharing.
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Waiting for your book Ethan to be published . I think if you include your wonderful photographs it will fly off the shelf .
                  Also you can make what us old timers call a coffee table addition . Nice get together conversational piece .
                  Ill be watching .

Comment

• Kentucky point
                    Kentucky point commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am already accumulating several artifacts for a historical piece I will be posting July 1-3.

Great topic Kentucky!!! I have few CW relics. Photo on left is my GG Grandfather -James Dudley Beasley’ with CW medals on his jacket. Illinois Infantry. He was Captured in battle in Tennessee and Survived the infamous Andersonville’ Prison. Photo taken about 1920’ just before he passed at age of 92’. The other photo is a rare 1860s Albumen’ Photo of a Mississippi Confederate Cavalry Soldier . His name and some info fortunately was written on back of the card. I was very blessed to -purchase along with the photo-his original Side Knife with sheath. The huge D Guard Bowie he’s holding was sold years prior. Little side note: On my fathers side I have verified through ‘Tennessee CW records 42+ ancestors on my fathers side that were Tennessee Confederate. 2/3rds were Confederate Cavalry. I’ve always wondered if a few of them were involved in the Capture my Illinois Infantry Grandfather

Comment

• Kentucky point
                    Kentucky point commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those are awesome! Nice history, and I like the bullets. I have two CDV's of a capt., unrelated to me, and of an unidentified man. Both from Michigan.

Thanks Kentucky. Bet those cdv’s are sweet. Years back I started into CW relics, but switched to NA, but glad I picked a few things up. Just love the history of it. That stuff all comes outta the deep South & Eastern States. I met old guy years ago -lived just above border of Mississippi. He told me years ago. Once a year C/W collectors from south -would meet in some midwestern town’ with American Indian collectors from the Dakotas/plains states at huge swap meet!! Guys from Montana and places wanted Civil War Stuff and those southerners wanted Sioux relics!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sage hen jack View Post
                    Thanks Kentucky. Bet those cdv’s are sweet. Years back I started into CW relics, but switched to NA, but glad I picked a few things up. Just love the history of it. That stuff all comes outta the deep South & Eastern States. I met old guy years ago -lived just above border of Mississippi. He told me years ago. Once a year C/W collectors from south -would meet in some midwestern town’ with American Indian collectors from the Dakotas/plains states at huge swap meet!! Guys from Montana and places wanted Civil War Stuff and those southerners wanted Sioux relics!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0005.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	370079 Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0006.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	370080

Meet Capt. Davis Collins, 3rd Mich. Cav. His writing, and another gentleman's writing appear on the back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	370081 Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0004.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	370082

This is the unknown man. The stamps are dated 1866, and he probably did serve in the war.

Comment

Very cool! Dig that Solider in the fancy Michigan CDV. Worth doin little research on that photographer. Some those CDV photographers cards could be quite scarce!

Comment

Working...
                      X