Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ‘Lost Narrow Gauge Engine ‘ and a story to tell!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ‘Lost Narrow Gauge Engine ‘ and a story to tell!!

The Lost narrow gauge Engine of the ‘Lamoine’ Logging Company ‘Shasta County CA. Years back about 15 or so. My brother in law had friend Bill’ that grew up around Mount Shasta. Brother in law & bill were 10 yrs younger than me. Well Bill tells Glen —when he was a kid like 7-8 yrs old in about 1970’ His Dad took him & his younger brothe up that old Narrow Gauge route up Slate Creek grade looking for old Bottles and treasures. Bill tells Glen that about 6-7 miles up he and his brother -were ways off from Dad and Stumbled on an old Narrow Gauge Engine that had slide off tracks down the hill. Bill said it was in thick high buck brush & Manzanita. Engine was all there, the Bell & whole works and they climbed all over it!! Bill said his Dad didn’t believe em, so didn’t check it out, but they left outta there with pack of old bottles and a huge 2 Man Saw 8’ long. Bill told story to his 7 grade teacher years later,& sure enough. The Lost Lamoine’ Engine was the real Deal!! Fell off tracks about year 1910’. People had searched & never could find it!! Bill went up — tried to find it the Few years when he was 16 or so & couldn’t find it again!! So I hear this story & I tell my Brother in law. Get a hold Bill. Let’s go find it. I researched it and found old archive photos of it & history on that Lumber operation. Next year we hiked 8 miles up that Slate’ creek grade and Spent the night. Searched all over through 8’ High brush & explored an Old Logging Camp. I saw only 2 sections of 20’ bent track the whole 8 miles. Seems they Scraped ironed it all— I did stumble on a tiny less than a foot long Section of Narrow Gauge track’ and a spike. Went up there next year didn’t find the Engine. Well 5 years later I’m up hunting near a tiny lake above that area. I run into a guy with his Canoe catching brook trout, and He says join me! So were out in middle of lake fishing. I tell him the Story of the Lost Lamoine’ Engine. He says— they found it last year!!!! I like fell outta that Canoe!! Seems the college professor was lookin for years also. He put a team together and they found it!!! It’s now located in a Logging Museum up in Oregon !!!! True Story !!!!!!! One of my best adventures I’ll never forget!!! 🇺🇸
    Last edited by Sage hen jack; 06-14-2019, 01:38 AM.

Thanks for sharing your story. Very interesting
    South Dakota

Comment

AWESOME! That is an incredible story! Like Indiana Jones, but you didn't destroy the entire mountain, lol!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hah hah 😜. Yeah Kentucky that country is as Rugged and steep as it gets. We found remnants of 2-3 Narrow Gauge Trestles that crossed ravines. Only few uprights and couple cross members left! I’m sure they’re not standing now. The Narrow Gauge track was only 30” wide on those tiny shay Logging trains. The RxR ties were imbedded in the ground in areas. Iron Track was pretty much gone. There were trees growing up in the old rail grade. It Well worth the effort to get up in there. Made it to an upper logging Camp called Dolby Meadows. Most bottles been picked. A huge pile of old lumber scattered where the Boarding house Saloon stood. A few Rusty-rot iron fancy bed frames from the days of Saloon gals!! an interesting part of history most folks don’t know much about.
        Last edited by Sage hen jack; 06-14-2019, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X