101 year old soda and other stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101 year old soda and other stuff

Local farmers have managed to get it in and the crops are up... so I'm out in the ravines pickin' through yesterday's trash can. Scored another Fuller Xenia soda from 1918 in pretty good shape.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_4404 (800x590).jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	376656
    The same ditch gave up a couple old ink wells bringing my collection of inks to 31.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_4405 (800x534).jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	376657
    Came across this heart breaker in another spot. Hollencamp & Weddle had a brewery in Xenia from 1891 to 1896. I knew there was some old stuff here now I need to find an intact example.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_4411 (800x534).jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	376658
    And finally the metal I'm keeping from the outing; a military button, some kind of pull thingy, and a 54 dime that is silver not the clad we get as change now.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_4410 (800x547).jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.9 KB ID:	376659
    A good day for me. Thanks for looking, fldwlkr
    Last edited by fldwlkr; 07-03-2019, 07:17 AM.
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Nice finds, did you metal detect for coin and button or was it a surface find.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• fldwlkr
      fldwlkr commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't swing the coil and it would probably be frustrating with all the junk metal down there. I wait for a major weather event and let the water do the work. My "technology" amounts to a stick or screwdriver to probe and scratch the surface.

I really like the ink wells !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• fldwlkr
      fldwlkr commented
      Editing a comment
      I brought one home early in my collecting career and the wife said, "Bet you won't find many of those". And so it began.

Great finds, love old bottles used to dig for them in my younger days. congrats

Comment

Those are all cool finds. That soda bottle in particular.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• fldwlkr
        fldwlkr commented
        Editing a comment
        I have 9 of that particular bottle. The locals must have really liked their strawberry flavored soda. The company was originally Fargo Mineral Water and I'm still looking for an intact example for the collection.

Excellent hunt man ...congrats on the good day
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Well done Tim, finding intact glassware is not easy.
        One of these days you will have to come to the dark side and use a detector.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Very very cool . I just love all this old history saved . I remember ink wells . I can’t remember why I am not that old . Oh man I hope it was a museum and I was a kid .

Comment

Like the ink wells. Remember getting my rear tanned for spilling dad's when I was filling it. Super old bottles.
            SE IA

Comment

Awesome! That bottle now has me jealous. (jk, but true) Now I have to look for one on ebay, lol!

Shame about those heartbreakers. Go back for sure.
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
              X