• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Beads

Click image for larger version

Name:	4296F726-728F-4B93-BC3B-8976274FD4D0.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	393791 I’ve been buying some different types of trade beads lately. Does anyone else collect them? Makes for a nice artifact necklace you can either take the beads and restring them or just add a favorite point to one and leave as is. Some nice looking beads imo.
    NW Georgia,

The ones I’m getting are all handmade glass beads and hand painted
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I do not know much, if anything, about real, historic trade beads....but I do know if you are buying be very careful and pick good, honest sellers. Some of these beads are still currently being made by the millions and sold by the string or singly by unscrupulous sellers. I would only buy these beads if they came from an honest seller (like you may find on here! or AACA) and they came with some provenance. Another thing to watch for is erroneous information/sham provenance.
      There are strands of beads supposedly from FL (Billy Bowlegs/Harney Massacre) that are not what they are advertised and are later beads. So many strands of these have been sold over decades and many still available (cheap..) on FeeBay.
      I love beads...and trade beads are the only items I would ever purchase as non personal finds. Somebody here knows what I mean in entirety boom

Name:	Copy of MaxTradeBead10-28-01.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	393815
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Holy cripes, lol! FeeBay, hahaha!

I've been currently saving my money for Civil War artillery shells, and associated artifacts, so I've let go on buying some NA stuff. I decided long ago that eBay, or as Tom put so well, FeeBay, was not for me. I'll be using the forum stores if I'm going to do anything like that.

That being said, you have some nice ones from what I see.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hey glen are these modern or hundreds of yrs old?
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Dennis (south fork) has a great collection of real Trade Beads and you can see them by doing a search. I would not call Trade Beads ancient Native American artifacts. These glass beads were made by the Europeans and traded to the Native Americans for items of much greater value. Certainly part of our history. There are lots of beads that are in fact ancient artifacts. They are made of stone and shell.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Vintage mostly is what I’m buying also more manly colors but I didn’t forget men have wife’s. I’m not buying from flea bay. I’ve never bought anything from there. There are some I’m looking at that are from the 1800s called fur trade beads.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post

Name:	4296F726-728F-4B93-BC3B-8976274FD4D0.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	393791 I’ve been buying some different types of trade beads lately. Does anyone else collect them? Makes for a nice artifact necklace you can either take the beads and restring them or just add a favorite point to one and leave as is. Some nice looking beads imo.
              Be careful those look more like recent African ? than trade era

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                There are some sand cast beads on that which are more modern

I collect trade beads SurfaceHunter but only the ones that I find and I've only found one. It has been very interesting researching them interesting part of our history. Yea like the others have said only buy from a trusted source. I got lucky with mine in that my local University has looked at some from the same site and could date their arrival to the site. I would do as Ron said and do a search here lots of good info!
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Hey Glenn, I have collected a lot of artifact beads (Stone and Shell). I have collected a few strands of Trade Beads and can share with you the information and pictures.

No. 14-- 11/1935
              Red Heart Historic Trade Beads
              Here's a strand of historic trade beads found in 1935 at Willow on Nicolaus Ranch south of Franklin in Sacramento County, California. It measures approx. 31" long.

All these beads are from the same collection. Shultz A. Martine is the gentleman who did the collecting with permission from the land owners back in the 1930's-40's. Martine had at least 51 dig sites documented. The number before the date is the site number. All the items have been tagged and all of them are from within a 45 mile radius of Sacramento, California.

Name:	Beads, California Nicolaus Ranch 1d.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	393942

Name:	Beads, California Nicolaus Ranch 1e.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	393943

No. 50—10/1941
              White Padre Historic Trade Beads
              Here's a 130 bead strand of historic trade beads found at Sierra Oaks about 6 miles N.E. of Sacramento, California. They were found in 1941 and the strand measures about 42" long.

Name:	California Sierra Oaks a.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	393944 Click image for larger version

Name:	California Sierra Oaks c.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	393945

No 2-- 8/1934
              Here's a strand of historic trade beads found in 1934 at Mustang on Vandegrift Ranch in Yolo County near Sacramento, California. It measures approx. 30" long

Name:	California Vandegrift Ranch c.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	393946

Name:	California Vandegrift Ranch d.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	393947

No. 2— 8/1934
              Blue Russian Faceted Historic Trade Beads
              Here's a strand of historic trade beads found in 1934 at Mustang on Vandegrift Ranch in Yolo County near Sacramento, California. It measures approx. 28" long.

Name:	Beads, California Vandegrift Ranch 2e.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	393948

Name:	Beads, California Vandegrift Ranch 2f.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	393949

Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Very nice collection of beads. You have to be careful now days when buying them due to the Reproduction pieces as to where you buy. I have seen some high prices for the real ones very collectible. I figured someone besides me thought trade beads were nice even though mine aren’t the same as yours. Thanks for sharing
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Very interesting thread.

Interesting that Ron's collection comes from area surrounding Sacramento.

I wonder what time period they represent?

Settlers from back east or Russians, Mexican, Spanish?

As far as I know there wasn't a lot of trade/negotiation with the California Indians except maybe by fur traders early on when their lack of numbers, local knowledge and single shot weapons compelled it.

Russians at Fort Ross are said to have had decent relationships with local tribelets, but then they introduced smallpox in 1837 which ravaged through the hills and valleys, killing thousands.
                  California

Comment

Trail of Tears I actually have Permisson certain times of the year to hunt a field where it’s said a well was built by NA Indians. I’m not allowed near it though and I’ve heard there are arrowheads along the inner walls of it. I can see it but not allowed near it. Haven’t found much of anything there yet maybe this year will be the year after hunting season
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                    X