NW Georgia,

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2895[1].JPG
Views:	140
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	534111
      Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
      Bought another strand of beads these are from the 1800s. They are considered Chevron type but not a layered bead. I really liked the color of them. African trading beads. 36 inch strand Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20200413_195243.jpeg Views:	149 Size:	276.6 KB ID:	442492 Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20200413_195217.jpeg Views:	174 Size:	65.6 KB ID:	442491
      Thanks Glen!
      Last edited by Mattern; 02-17-2021, 03:00 PM. Reason: To duplicate Pict.
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Hey Surface- do your 'rattlesnake' beads look like the white lines were *painted* on the glass? I have read this is so, but don't see it on the few rattlesnake type beads I have. Thanks!
        Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Share a picture of yours I'd like to see them

Idk I've never looked really hard at them up close. I believe they were probably painted on then baked would be my guess.
        Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 02-16-2021, 09:42 PM.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Here's my four 'rattlesnakes,' lower left of photo. Found in southwest NY, almost in PA. I'll get my microscope out later today after I shovel / snowblow ....again.....and try to take a photo through the eyepiece at 10x. The bead at center, bottom shows white lines that are broken, or cracked. that one I could see as painted. The others look to have white integrated seamlessly into the black. Maybe I have two types with two different manufacturing techniques.
          Last edited by Cmcramer; 02-17-2021, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Those do look older than mine they can date all the way back to the 1400s
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• Cmcramer
              Cmcramer commented
              Editing a comment
              Amazing. I did clean them lightly to get rid of some dirt and mineralization, but some still shows. And I think I see some 'use wear' too.

"Rattlesnake" type beads are shown in a timeline chart in The History of Beads, by Dubin. The author shows them as being produced in 1700's to early 1800's in The Netherlands, and simply describes them as "wound glass with trailing decoration." The white glass material is obviously embedded INTO the black glass, not applied to the surface. I think the two glasses were melded together while hot.

My photos put to rest, I would say, any thought of the white lines being painted on, as stated here: https://peachstatearchaeologicalsoci...of-trade-beads

My 'rattlesnake' beads just left my 'extras' box and joined my bookshelf display items!

Comment

I have that book you mentioned but haven't read it. I had a guy who wanted blue beads and a book about beads at the show last year. I didn't get his # or name cause I saw him at every show. Who would of thought we would end up with a virus that says you have to be socially awkward and never have fun anymore with others. So I have his order, maybe one day I will see him again.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

I met a guy that found a bunch at ft Granville in pa he was selling them at a thrift shop should have bought them .
                New Jersey

Comment

Yes you should have Tee if they were old ones. I remember when I was 14 ,my brother and I went to a big flea market. Some guy was selling a bunch of old war stuff had emblems on everything. I wish I had enough $ back then to purchase the items they would of been worth big today.
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

Yeah if we all had the toys we had when we were kids we would all be rich lol GI Joe With The Kung Foo Grip. 😆
                    New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                    X