First shed hunt of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First shed hunt of 2020

Went out for a ride on our ditch this morning so made it a two for trip , looked for slides on the ditch and antlers for me did well numbers wise but only managed to find 4 matched pairs saw a fair number of bucks that still had their antlers so there will be more to get .
    The ones at the bottom of the step are old ones last years and maybe one from two years ago.
    The ones on the step are matched pairs and all the rest on the deck. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7380.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	432795
    Wyoming

Awesome! That's quite a haul, we've only found one this year.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Wow !
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Wow that's a lot! Husband has found a few this year. He doesn't know it yet, but he's going to be making a wine bottle holder, lol.
        South Carolina

Comment

That's a pretty nice haul.

I found a couple of Elk sheds when I was in Montana, but always by random chance and usually well gnawed on critters. What do you do with them? (That's a lot of knapping tools.)
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• beatup1354
            beatup1354 commented
            Editing a comment
            I will take most of them down to quartzsite in the winter to a guy i know at the rock show and trade them for rock he uses them to make knife handles for both flint and steel .
            Some of the really big ones i find i take to a gal in town who makes western style light fixtures out of them.

That's a lot I've never seen any in my area I always look but find nothing. What's the trick on the finds?
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• beatup1354
            beatup1354 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well i have 15 miles of ditch that runs along the top of some steep country and when i am out riding in the spring i am able to glass down the draws and hillsides along the ditch and this time of year the antlers stick out real well on the brown hillsides the grasses have been crushed down by snow all winter and the fact that i know where the different herds winter does make it easy to find antlers plus the fact that i get out before most other folks do gives me an advantage,but we now have over 8 miles of trails on the ranch we have let the county create and they are going to add about 4 miles more this will let town folks and their dogs find the ones that i don't pick up.

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            There are plenty of chipmunk and ground hogs here they probably get them. Thanks

• beatup1354
            beatup1354 commented
            Editing a comment
            Around here they can lay on the ground for a few years and not be chewed on , lots of prairie dogs around but they don't seem to go for them .well we also have the little 13 line ground squirrels but they are not abundant and of coarse rabbits and field mice , if any critter does chew on them it is porcupines.

Hey Bret, That was a very successful antler hunt. The bigger end would make great knife handles.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
          X