Outhouse/Privy dig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outhouse/Privy dig

Anyone ever dig an old outhouse/privy? This old foundation is on my farm and it sure looks like an old outhouse. Any advice?
    Attached Files
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

How old do you think that thing is and would it be old enough to have any bottles in it worth digging? Those round circles, was that where they filled it in later?
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Kind of a long story willjo, the current house dates to 1895 but there was a house here in 1860. I did dig down about 2 feet on the back wall and there is a field stone foundation under the concrete, how deep it goes is anyone's guess...and yes, the circles were filled in later but not by me.
      Last edited by paohrocks; 04-05-2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I know how to find them without concrete over them, but this is interesting.

PLEASE buy or rent a metal detector! 1860s houses are gold mines for all sorts of interesting things, and if you live down South, there's the possibility of Civil War artifacts, a specialty of mine.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• paohrocks
          paohrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Kentucky Point, I do own a metal detector and have found several interesting things.

Good luck !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

They are usually full of older " time frame of homestead occupation" artifacts. As you probably know, used as a trash pit and accidental drops down there. More of a case study than valuable finds I would guess. I think a lot of what's pulled out is usually broken. Hopefully you get some good tips on how to tackle the project.
          Central Ohio

Comment

A two holer, eh?
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Potty buddy ? Hold hands ? Lol, I crack myself up ! I bet y’all really think I’m nuts, and your right !

• paohrocks
              paohrocks commented
              Editing a comment
              It's all good, love your sense of humor.

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              LinnyMan, your sense of humor one of forum’s finest offerings. Gotta admit, have held self back on expressing the potty silliness this post immediately evoked in me (it’s so fertile, Paoh, in more ways than one...)! When was little bitty kid, used to visit my grandma’s Uncle Budda way out in the country, and an outhouse was his only bathroom. Never thot about it before, but was two-holer, too!
              Last edited by Cecilia; 04-06-2020, 11:32 AM.

Be interesting to see what you find, good luck
            NW Georgia,

Comment

I'd sure dig it. If you don't find anything you ain't out crap, cept work.
              SE IA

Comment

Two outhouse stories . Fond memories of a Mich lake house one my Aunt had . Just beautiful with a sun and moon on the door . I was young but they took it seriously in the decor of this to stick in my head .
                Then there was the eye sore red door dilapidated mess next to our cabin . ( Georgia ) Could not get Wayne to budge on helping me .
                He came home from hunting and I have no idea how I body slammed that thing down and hauled it piece by piece into the burn pile .
                The joy of lighting that . Boys came home and said where is they red thing .
                One look at me like a tornado hit and they walked out to the burn site and laughed . Who helped you , how did you get it how never mind ... we all laughed
                Just shear will !
                no hole old enough to care

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tam, your response made me remember sun and moon carved out on great uncle’s outhouse doors! Wonder what those meant. Nature calls, day or night? Maybe just ventilation? ...sure needed that!

Update, gonna need more than a shovel, spud bar, and post hole digger...dug down about 4 feet on the back wall and removed the field stone foundation, stuck a 3 foot probe down and it just kept going...think I may need to borrow my neighbors mini excavator...this thing is a serious crapper...

Comment

Think it might be a well instead?
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

It might be but I don't think it is

Comment

Working...
                    X