Buttons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buttons?

I started collecting artifacts then the bottles started following me home. Somehow marbles and metal have snuck in recently. Buttons have also invaded my neat collection adding either diversity or more insanity, take your pick. I ran across this button yesterday and had to research it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5641 (1024x871).jpg
Views:	323
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	446908
    Turns out The Knights of Pythias had a lodge in Xenia once upon a time. Cool little two piece brass button from the early 1900's. It goes in the jar with my other orphaned buttons.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5638 (1024x814).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	446909
    Starting to sound like Terrance from The Detectorists show.
    fldwlkr
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Pretty cool finds
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice!

The Eagle buttons came from either WWI or WWII uniforms, the Pullman buttons came from Passenger railway uniforms. The US items actually appear to be bit boss pieces. The rest are civilian.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• fldwlkr
        fldwlkr commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm guessing WWII on the uniform buttons. The US items are collar pins and Pullman porters have an interesting history. Not the cool civil war, stuff but I'm just surface scrounging.

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Collar tabs. That's it. If you look at Civil War bit boss pieces, they look very similar.

I have found only one Civil War button, and it is one of the rarest known. I have yet to find a common eagle button, which is what I want.

Thanks guys, that was a great presentation.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Looked up Knights of Pythias, that was very interesting, thanks.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Would have glossed over this but for your clever rhetoric. And so now, I am thoroughly interested in old buttons!!
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• fldwlkr
            fldwlkr commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL! I used to do seven shows a day in front of the classroom. That must be where it comes from.

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s it! I bet your students ate up your mastery of the art of discourse, asked for seconds, and learned whatever you taught! Powerful, the right words, the right order, the right tone. Vive la Repartee!
        Working...
        X