Pretty Jigsaws from China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty Jigsaws from China

I collect reproductions of very cool things from about halfa dozen other cultures, and a friend used to bring me treasures from estate sales. I must show you these Chinese items, but lemme tell you what little I know about “interpreting” what is depicted. There are dozens of meaningful animals (real and made up), insects, flowers, etc, and dozens of combinations of these creatures and associates. Additionally, variations in body language, activity, placement all contribute to the ultimate “takeaway”. Chinese art is fun jigsaw puzzle to me. Clovis and/Pain may say “Celia, Celly, Silly”, but that ok!

First is green ceramic teapot, ‘bout 7” tall. On its top is a little rat. Below. on two sides, are identical faces of scary something, but 4 beautiful panthers are all crawling towards it, and 5 pretty upside butterflies beneath panthers. Spout is head of traditional-looking dragon, but stuck between graceful neck and head is bilateral wheel of same scary something‘s whole body:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5A1EEB4C-EE0F-49EB-9C0C-938EC0E7C38E.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	468494

What I know here not even equal to what know ‘bout arrowheads, but here goes, from bottom up:
    Butterflies may have meaning kinda like “ditto”, so keep on keepin’ on?...live long life......duh..? Panthers end to cruelty? Dragons always good, good stuff, and rat implies money. But what’s with ugly face and body thing? I couldn’t even figure out what was until read 9 types of dragon, and one indeed looks like this one:

Click image for larger version  Name:	3BD23DDF-7FDD-436B-81F8-20F34ABA5047.jpeg Views:	62 Size:	32.4 KB ID:	466552

Next is 4” dark green jade vessel with pretty blue base bearing 4 Yin-Yang symbols. Above base, one side has what’s known as Phoenix, and on opposite side, what I call the traditional dragon. Two gorgeous horses run up neck. This combo of dragon and phoenix in all interpretation-books, and signifies married love. Think horses may mean stamina? But why they running sideways in such a hurry?!.....To get to opiate nose spoon of course! ...That’s what this is: a little ripsnorter. (When friend gifted me with it years ago, told me that’s what was sold as)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0E02EF73-2D30-4C3F-B0FF-76E156A9898C.jpeg Views:	111 Size:	19.8 KB ID:	466549 Click image for larger version  Name:	2F13FBC0-1B2E-4203-B6FF-36B59545557A.jpeg Views:	61 Size:	19.9 KB ID:	466550 Click image for larger version  Name:	37101C2D-9A7A-4B77-9455-100CFD31A832.jpeg Views:	65 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	466551
    Gonna post favorite separately next, coz ‘ fraid loose this if con’t...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cecilia; 07-08-2020, 11:48 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

This my favorite. It’s 4” by 4” incense holder, so pretty with its pale green translucent jade and shape. Plus, I was familiar immediately with starring creature since we’ve all seen giant versions of them guarding some important building (or restaurant!). Love them so much made them in ceramics class, and bought several heavy marble sets as bookends.

This guy particularly cross-lookin, guess coz doing double-duty as both Yin andYang, being how he is playing both male and female parts!! Lion Foo Dogs always come in sets. Male always has ball, to represent World; Female always has puppy, to represent Nurture. How they are positioned in relation to each other is key to creating Feng Shui. Look closely if you can to see this single parent doin’ it all!,

Click image for larger version

Name:	6734996F-8615-4C77-9378-4BC259F40EA5.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	468490 Click image for larger version

Name:	3181E31C-C336-4836-9D00-94EE1154F4A9.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	468491
    Last edited by Cecilia; 07-08-2020, 11:45 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Yummy

And a fine post it is Mrs. C...There seems to be no end to my learning, thank you...Is that the Fucanglong dragon, hidden treasures!, stone’s and minerals!, What?..You got my attention..
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Actually Cecilia, I'm a big fan of Chinese art, particularly since its symbolism generally has such an interesting history. Love the teapot and the censer.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Are you sure the tall one is not a bong ??? LOL
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Josie
          Josie commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, JJ, that made me laugh!

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          I could see my daughter contemplating...

I love Chinese antiques. I don't know much about them, but it's amazing the variety.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Real works of art. Any idea of age ?
          SE IA

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            If you had not asked me this, I would not now know that the little dark green jade vessel w/spoon is formally called a “snuff bottle”, and those sold at big auctions were generally made in the early to mid 1800s. I was so intent on figuring out the symbolism in the decorations that it never occurred to me to even think about time of origin. Wow. Food for thought. Good, I’ve been very hungry! Will get back to you. Thank you!
            Last edited by Cecilia; 07-04-2020, 06:04 PM.

Cecilia, I like Chinese collectables also. I'll send you a pic of something I have.
          South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Please do!

Me to I have a few pieces of Chinese antiques ; actually a large drum I put beveled glass on for a table . Wooden market baskets and some other fun stuff .
          They actually have a fine furniture store here they throw a few chest in you would go nuts CC

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            I seem to collect desks, too, and my favorite is HUGH Chinese Armoire desk! You’re right that I’d go nuts, coz haven’t been in Chinese furniture store since left NYC!

Cool stuff C!!!
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
          X