ID:	489700 Click image for larger version

Name:	FA12F2A0-A7BB-4513-B51E-BBC64FC7FACC.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	489699 Click image for larger version

Name:	1857B0FF-7C91-4BFA-B934-621CACEB5775.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	489698 I like steam. 4014 “Big Boy”just got overhauled.
    844 is my favorite engine, it was designed to run at over 100 mph
    #6 is a friends “toy“ train. Its getting an overhaul by the 4014 team.
    A new boiler and I’m not sure what all. Fuel oil and thats a water jacket over boiler. It spent its life as a switcher engine at some big grain elevator.
    N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Love trains we have a line, still runs through town, four locks away, comes through around midnight, beautiful sound on a quiet night...each engineer has his own signature whistle sound, five longs, two shorts, once medium, etc, so I kinda know several of em, fun stuff..when I was a navigator on a ship, we navigated at night by counting long, short, occulating, etc. beacon flashes coming into port
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Good stuff Hal

When I first fished lake Erie, I had a 16 ft lund tiller with 50 merc. No GPS. Just looked on horizon for coal power plant stacks or the nuclear power plant cooling towers and the rollercoasters at ceder point.
    When the fog rolled in you could be lost if you didn’t believe your compass.

Comment

Worst place we ever had to navigate was straights of Gibraltar at night... Scores of ships, subs below...tryin to use sight, get several fixes on beacons every five minutes, fun times, I didn’t wanna be there..All that shipping tryin to squeeze thru the Pillars of Hercules...Lol.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

I was out on Lake Michigan when the thickest fog slammed us. I'm glad I had my GPS. Made it back to the landing with no problem.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s scary, lotta wrecks in those lakes....never had to yell in a fog and count seconds, fog at sea, everything quiet and still,spooky

The Big Boy works now? That's awesome!
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

It surly does. I posted this hopping you would looksee.
          Cheyenne wyo is UPs steam shop.
          There are several J.C’s around that can teach you to be an engineer, all the while work for them too.
          I never thought of having my own full size train when I was young. I settled for N scale. The vast majority of people did and thats ok too.
          I didn't have anybody telling me “dream big and don’t settle”. By tell you and trying to explain, it does make me feel as “maybe I didnt miss out, if I can just talk you into it”

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought about looking this up, but just decided to ask: what is “N scale”/ how big is N scale?
            Train runs about 7 miles from my house at night; can hear faintly, very smoothing sound.....
            Last edited by Cecilia; 09-23-2020, 05:49 PM.

N guage
          9 mm wide track. Little
          I have good friend whom has an amazing layout. My nephew got to see, dont touch...
          9 years now. Track planning is getting out of hand

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	48688956-D74F-4E02-A2AD-B51543D816C1.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	489856 Lost this a contract car and amtrack engine

Comment

I’ve worked on the 844 and the 4014.

the drivers on those things gas are monsters. I rhunk the 4014 alone, without the tender, weighs over a million pounds.

a good friend of mine was the director over the UP heritage fleet out in Cheyenne for a few years until he left to work for the BNSF.
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Is that Ed? Ive toured the Cheyenne shop a few times.
                the scale of them is amazing. The idea of “more powerful than a steaming locomotive” makes me laugh when I’m standing by by 80 inch drivers.

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  His name is Scott George. He was with UP for about 20 years, in about 14 or so he left NLR and took the job in Cheyenne. He was over the steam shop as well as what they call the rest of the heritage fleet. We have several other late model locomotives that have paint jobs to commemorate the other companies we’ve bought or merged with. MoPac, SP, C&NW, D&RGW...a few others....they are pretty cool.

Cool.. I watched a video and saw he too.
                Thats got to be dream job..

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It’s a cool job, that’s for sure.👍

Nice thread people very interesting .
                I took a ship across Lake Michigan 6 hours and we had a bunk .Yes that fog and fog horn going 24/7 ...
                We were going up to Ludington from where I can’t remember with Dad .My aunt had a fishing camp up there and it was the short way in .

Comment

Working...
                X